Stabil for Gasoline Storage?

fritz1255

Threads
How does this stuff work for gasoline storage? In addition to storing gas over the winter, we have to store gas for generators due to our unreliable power grid. How long is Stabil good for, and is there a better product to use?

4getgto

Threads
There are a number of them out there. The ones below are ones I've used and "believe" to work as advertised. IMO..
Stabil
Star Tron
SeaFoam
And many many others that I've never tried...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stabil has a two year shelf life after the bottle is opened. So I question the long term storage benefit of a product that expires within the same time period it is suppose to protect. I can also tell the use of stabil because as it breaks down forms crystals that settle to the bottom of the carb bowl causing issues.

I have used seafoam and is a good product but the old formula from about 10 years ago is better than the newer stuff. I have also used star tron and don't have an opinion one way or the other on it as far as how well it works compared to other brands.

4getgto

Threads
Stabil has a two year shelf life after the bottle is opened. So I question the long term storage benefit of a product that expires within the same time period it is suppose to protect. I can also tell the use of stabil because as it breaks down forms crystals that settle to the bottom of the carb bowl causing issues.

I have used seafoam and is a good product but the old formula from about 10 years ago is better than the newer stuff. I have also used star tron and don't have an opinion one way or the other on it as far as how well it works compared to other brands.
I can't say I've ever seen crystals form using Stabil (not saying it cant) I wonder sometimes if people aren't dumping in a stabilizer in old gas and hoping for a miracle. No where do they state they make old gas good.
And a 5 gallon can of gas won't go bad as quick as those few ounces in your carb or qt. in the tank. Again IMO.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can't say I've ever seen crystals form using Stabil (not saying it cant) I wonder sometimes if people aren't dumping in a stabilizer in old gas and hoping for a miracle. No where do they state they make old gas good.
And a 5 gallon can of gas won't go bad as quick as those few ounces in your carb or qt. in the tank. Again IMO.
I came across the crystals from time to time and wasn't sure of the cause, but I used Stabil was a frequent response to bad gas. I put the two together from a post maybe on another forum from a guy retired from the company that made Stabil, and he brought it up about the crystals.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And people do not seem to understand that the size of the air space in the tank is also critical as nothing is going to stop water condensing from the air in the top of the tank & carb.
This effect gets worse the further away from a big water mass you are as you get bigger differences between day & night temperatures.
People also forget that the fuel they bought can be several months old before it came out the bowser so was 2/3 off before they got their hands on it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It also doesn't help the fact that fuel today containing ethanol contains a portion of water. Phase separation of that water can vary by air temperature So ethanol blended fuel at 70 degrees will be stable but could phase separate at 0 degrees.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have eliminated the use of all fuel treatments for storage about 6 years ago. I now keep a 2 gallon fuel can full in the shed and every 4-5 weeks I dump it into the truck and refill the can. This way I always have fresh fuel available.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I just run my equipment week or so, just let it idle for awhile..
But that's me.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always use 100% gas only. & I never start any of my mowers all winter. My logic is that a short run just causes condensation inside the engine on those brief runs & that adds up over winter to have water in the oil.

If I start it, it will run at least 1/2 hour. To burn out any internal condensation.