SRM 230 Trimmer

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cleaned out the old carb, and it started and ran fine after installation. A week later, customer comes to pick it up and it started running like crap. So I got a new one from Stens. Like the other, it started and ran fine for about 20 minutes. Decided to do some trimming with it, it died at full throttle. I couldn't tell if it sounded like it flooded or ran out of fuel.
Anywho, not it'll only start on fuel poured directly into the carb. Primer fills up fine. The carb holds 7lbs for at least 2 minutes. Compression is over 120lbs.

What plugs up in these cube carbs, that don't allow them to get fuel besides the screen and needle?

After pulling many MANY times, plug is just barely wet. I mean just barely.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Things to check. Tank vent, crankcase bolts, remove carb and put a drop of oil in the impulse hole and pull rope and watch for air pulsing in and out of the hole. check carb to engine gaskets. new fuel filter?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fly wheel key is good. Tank vent is good. Ports are clear enough. 4 bolts under flywheel were pretty loose. at least by 1/4 turn. Filter has been blown out.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Did you pull the filter ouf of the tank and check the tubing for cracks?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Did you pull the filter ouf of the tank and check the tubing for cracks?
New fuel lines and gromit. Sprayed some sea foam in the filter when I cleaned the first carb. Then blew it out a few minutes later.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pressure and vac test the crankcase.

Question: if you to a compression test and get 120lbs, and it holds, doesn't that eliminate the possibility of crankcase leaks? I'm asking because I don't have a way to test crankcase on 2 cycles.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
FIXED!!!!!!!!!

I backed the low idle out all the way, and darn thing fired right up.

I got to thinking that since it would fire up on mix poured into the carb, but die out as soon as the fuel was all gone, then it almost has to be getting fuel to the plug. So I backed it out, thinking maybe something may be clogging up the low idle jet. Well, turns out, that's about where this carb needed to be, to get the right amount of fuel to the plug.
I suppose there's something wrong with this carb. But, it's been idling for about 10 minutes. And the response time is quick.

Thanks everyone for their input and advice.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the crankcase seals, one or both may be bad.

I don't have a pressure tester for those. For future reference, I'd have to open the crankcase to check them, right? That doesn't seem right.