Spring keeps breaking - z125s 54”

Chris6197

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m having an issue with 40hrs on my lawn mower. The spring has broken 3 times and the service department continues to tell me it’s due to a small piece of a pinecone or stick. I’m so tired of having to go up there every single time this breaks. It’s ridiculous. I had a cub cadet from Home Depot for 9 years with no issue and cut over rocks, roots, and hill sides. Now I live where I have a flat yard sod and some pines and cannot keep this lawn mower running.

Attachments

• 2A49E071-A60E-49A6-AA5E-5FD09E343171.jpeg
    2A49E071-A60E-49A6-AA5E-5FD09E343171.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 12

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
So the spring on the deck that tensions the belt? Something doesn't seem right for sure. Does it happen while mowing or when engaging the blades?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many springs does that mower have that could break?

Chris6197

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the spring on the deck that tensions the belt? Something doesn't seem right for sure. Does it happen while mowing or when engaging the blades?
It’s the spring on the drive pully. It hooks to a pully and a bolt. It will break wether the blades are engaged or not. Talladega tractor replaced it the first time and then I replaced it the second and they replaced it the third. I lifted the lawn mower up and checked all the pullys to make sure there was nothing in the pullys and they were all in line and moving properly before I took it back to them. When I took it back they said a pine comb was stuck in one of the pullys. Which was a complete lie. So idk why it keeps breaking.

Chris6197

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is pic of spring

Attachments

• 205F737D-E9BC-4B5B-B9FF-9476C6DFCE3E.jpeg
    205F737D-E9BC-4B5B-B9FF-9476C6DFCE3E.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 8

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
typical foreign trash. locate a different dealer if possible and contact HQ if possible.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
OEM spring may be just a little lacking for the application or just a bad batch of springs from the vendor. I would find a spring at the hardware or farm supply store that is similar and see what happens. I replace springs that break on old mowers where parts are NLA all the time with hardware store ones. The stick in the pulley or belt seems to be a standard line.

Chris6197

Forum Newbie
Threads
OEM spring may be just a little lacking for the application or just a bad batch of springs from the vendor. I would find a spring at the hardware or farm supply store that is similar and see what happens. I replace springs that break on old mowers where parts are NLA all the time with hardware store ones. The stick in the pulley or belt seems to be a standard line.
Good thought, I’m scared that since it only has 40hrs and I use something different, it may void my warranty.