Something came loose/rattle then engine cutout while mowing...

renhsrak

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Something came loose/rattle then engine cutout while mowing...
I have a Craftsman riding mower and engine just stopped while mowing and will no longer start. As I was going, I started to hear a faint noise of something that sounded like metal rubbing coming from the engine as i was making a turn, and then as I straightened out all of a sudden I heard a snap/clunk that sounded like something came loose inside and the engine just cut out.
When I try to start it now, it sounds like something is disconnected in it as it doesn't make any noise at all like it would trying to start. The flywheel spins and seems normal, but that's all you hear. No sputtering of any kind.
I haven't attempted to take anything apart at this point, just pushed it back in the shed to regroup.
Any ideas as to what might have happened? flyweel key, spark plug? I started reading about a thrown rod, but not sure what the symptoms I'd see with any of those would be.

Any advice on what this might be? or what to look for?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sound like you broke the rod. Remove the spark plug and use a long screwdriver to see if the piston moves when you spin the engine.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What Hammer said.
Also check your oil level, be sure it's not low, or high and smells like gas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And while you are there remove the rocker cover and check that the rockers are moving.
You might be real lucky and it was no more than a push rod coming loose then falling off .
People do occasionally win lotteries,,,, honest !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And by spin, we really mean rotate by hand, not use the starter .