SNAPPER REAR ENGINE MOWERS = OLD vs NEWER ??

Charlie8d

Threads
Years ago, I had Snapper rear engine mowers & an Ariens that was very similar. I loved those mower & you could not kill them. Snapper has continued to make the rear engine mowers , but I have been told that they are much different, now. Old ones had a simple disc drive that could be easily changed out when needed . A couple of local repair shops said that the transmissions & engines are a big problem, now.
What is the difference now, & about when were the changes made in the drive system of the rear engine rider ? I wouldn't mind owning another one for a smaller yard that I maintain.
Thanks for all the replies !

JDeere101

Threads
The disc drive on the Old Snapper,s is the same one used on the new ones. (Unless your looking at a Hydro Drive One) Same simple design as they always had. I had a newer style one a couple years ago and they have,nt changed the drive system for decades. As far as the engines go ,,,,, well My last one had a 11.5 hp Briggs. It was Ok but I don,t think it was as durable as the the old 8hp Briggs I had on one years ago. I like the Snapper RER mowers but for my needs I perfer a tractor type mower.

Charlie8d

Threads
What years had a hydro drive transmission ? Maybe the shop was talking about a hydro-drive. I did not know that they ever used a hydro tranny on the rear engine Snapper. I know that B & S Intek design has had problems. My old Ariens rear engine had a Tecumseh, & it was a great engine.

JDeere101

Threads
The Hydro came out when they introduced the new body style, probable 7-8 years ago. Nice change,, But they are still pricy.

Charlie8d

Threads
Thank you.