Snapper 1842 Seized

lawnMowerPerson0001

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was gifted a Snapper 1842 riding mower in 2021, originally bought in 2014. The mower batter needed to be replaced but everything else ran fine. While using it I accidentally had the blades engaged while in reverse and the engine shut off automatically. I figured no big deal as I was done for the season, so I put it in park and put a cover on it for the rest of 2021. Fast forward to spring 2022 and I put in a new battery only to find the the engine seized. The engine turns about a quater before it stops, like there is a piece of metal blocking it or something. I tried everything, fresh oil/gas, removing the spark plug and spraying penetrating oil, and even using a breaker bar on the shaft. The engine only turns about a quater before stopping, I can rotate it either direction but it won't go beyond that point without stopping. I have been using a push mower for 3 acres this year, and my arms are tired,ls help.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull sparkplug
Insert long screwdriver till touches piston
Turn flywheel
Screwdriver doesn't move?
Mower RIP

lawnMowerPerson0001

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally had a chance to test it today. I drained the gas and oil. I sprayed deep creep in the spark plug and where the oil goes. The piston walls had no wear either.

Good news: The piston moves when the flywheel moves, and it moves easier.

Bad news: The engine is still seized. When ever I turn the flywheel manually in either direction it feels like its hitting metal.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
1) make sure that the belt is not moving when you do these tests because the PTO may be seized from the event when you put it away. Not likely but possible.
2) check to see if the valves are moving properly, You may have a valve that has seized open while it sat, and the piston is hitting that.

lawnMowerPerson0001

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have checked almost everything then upon my research someone else said they had a similar problem and they said it was the camshaft. The symptoms they described were the exact same as mine. The only thing I have not done yet was to take the engine off of the mower, flip the engine upside down, and check the inside of the actual engine. I think at this point I am just going to pay someone to replace the camshaft, assuming that is what's wrong with it. Besides the tires are off the rim and I cannot get them back on.

How much would it cost to have someone replace the camshaft?

frenchriverco

Threads
I wouldn't think that this would be a seized engine, so to say. It seems too coincidental with the catalyst being the machine in reverse. Check the reverse switch, remove the deck and drive belts. Then try to turn it over with no peripherals connected. That isolates the engine so you can determine if that's the case or not. I wrote up an article for more information at https://frenchriverco.com/how-to-tell-if-a-riding-lawn-mower-engine-is-seized