Silver Series 6.5hp Tecumseh runs for 5 seconds and quits. Any ideas?

Smarty

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Silver Series 6.5hp Tecumseh runs for 5 seconds and quits. Any ideas?
Hello, and thank you in advance for any help you may have. I have a Silver Series Lawn Boy with a 6.5hp Tecumseh engine and electric start. There is no throttle control or choke. I runs for about 5 seconds when I spray it with starting fluid and then quits. This morning it did run for 5 seconds on it's own fuel, but then quit too. I took the carb apart and cleaned it carefully. It is now the cleanest carb on the planet. I put it all back together, and I get the same problem. The fuel tank is clean and fuel flows properly, and the gas is new premium. Oil level is full. So with my limited (carpenter by trade) knowledge, I'm stumped. Can anyone suggest anything to look into ? Thanks!

djets

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove fuel tank cap and try to start it. If it starts and runs, the vent is clogged in the tank cap and you need to open it up. It the cap advice doesn't work, remove the fuel bowl nut and clear the fuel jet openings in the bowl nut with a small wire (.010-.012") diameter, like a twist tie wire. Good luck.

upupandaway

Threads
remove the fuel bowl nut and clear the fuel jet openings in the bowl nut with a small wire (.010-.012") diameter,

I use these: cleaner Sometimes, I need to file the passage to remove deposits.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
? ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Using a file, even very small ones, is asking for trouble. Too easy to enlarge the passage ways, creating problems down the road.

Charlie8d

Threads
I agree that it is still in the carb. I take a wire twist tie, burn off the plastic or paper on it, then use it to clean out all the tiny holes you can find.

upupandaway

Threads
Using a file, even very small ones, is asking for trouble. Too easy to enlarge the passage ways, creating problems down the road.
I have yet to create that problem with them. The only carb I have ever had that happen was the Tecumseh VLV plastic carb and I didn't need to use these to clean out passages.
As always, to each his own.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might not have a problem using a file, but I’m betting the average DIY guy has no idea of what problems he can cause very quickly by using a file. Could very easily ruin a carb and get very expensive.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might not have a problem using a file, but I’m betting the average DIY guy has no idea of what problems he can cause very quickly by using a file. Could very easily ruin a carb and get very expensive.
FWIW I use micro drills between my fingers that I know are smaller than the jets
Glued them into the straws from spray cans