Should I sell my JD JX75 for a new Honda?

mdub

Forum Newbie
Threads
The JD is a 2001 model, and Ive used it for 13 years as the old home owner, an elderly couple, gave it to us with the house. Ive taken care of it, changing oil every year, and the usual spark plug, air filter as needed. Other repairs over the years were an ignition coil, a wheel adjuster, (used), new wheels, blades, and recently put on a new oem carb since I stripped the jet screw trying to clean the old one. Im debating selling it to upgrade to a newer honda hrx series, as im hoping to avoid more money going into it. no issues on it with bbc or cruise control at the moment tho. We do have a steep slope in the front yard, which is why the old home owner got it, for the pressurized lube system. But, I purchased an ego for the hill as its sooooo light, and in fact does a decent cut. But I still like my motors ;-)

Thoughts on parting with the JD while I can still get some money for it?

dfbrown

Threads
I had John Deere sb14 jx75 and jx85 in the late 1990s and early 2000s. We’re decent machines but all 3 had the transmissions eventually go even on the one that was only used at home. I know they had a lot of warranty issues with them. You can still get decent money for those machines if it’s clean and posted nice with pictures. John Deere basically quite making 21” mower. John Deere has allowed Honda to sell there mowers at there dealers. What does that tell you.

a new Honda hrx217hya will be smoother, quieter, bag just as well, mulch definitely better and cut into smaller pieces, deck height goes higher if needed, Lighter to menuever, no need for mulch plug or buying a side discharge chute, hydrostatic transmission is much more reliable, smoother and easier to fine adjust speed. honda gcv200 is definitely more powerful smoother easier maintenance better fuel econom, auto choke works well and parts are cheaper in price. If your looking at buying one you won’t regret it. Awesome mowers. By far the best premium residental mower money can buy. I have owned many many 21” mowers over the years. Have and have had many Honda’s. excellent machines even there lower line compared to snapper or a toro. Designed and built completely in swepsonville, North Carolina in USA. Good luck.

mdub

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. Im looking at the HRX217VKA, and perhaps an HRN216 to save a bit, but think Id like the larger motor. I have read some complaints about the autochoke system, some issues with individual wheel adjusters, etc. so wonder if going new may not be better. Still debating but would love to hear other thoughts too!

upupandaway

Threads
the best premium residental mower money can buy.
Sorry, beg to differ. I have seen numerous hondas where the trans was broken- retail brands I cannot say i ever found one but have seen missing parts or stripped teeth on wheel but not broken gearbox.

From the trans that i've seen, if u get one, get the honda that has x(I think it was 5) definte speeds- do not get the "infinite" speed one. That is because inside it works by pressure plates. It is like driving your car riding never fully releasing the clutch. With 2 plates constantly rubbing it wears out. If u look at the honda model that will disengauge the blade, it works similarly - friction plates(I've seen a few of them broken also). Other brands that work on a similar premise - Toro Pace, Snapper , etc except use a rubber wheel\belt instead and the old toro which would disengauge the blade also used a belt. At least you could replace the belt for a few $$'s. Honda lists whole trans only- no individual parts listed\available?? for $244.

For other issues with honda, let the issues speak for themselves in posts especially the rear shaft that won't turn - the person says he found a fix and there are numerous pages(and people who have had the same issue) in the discussion of trying to fix that problem. Come pull my 70's Snapper or 80's Toro reverse and you won't see this "feature".

Mdub, I don't know if u post this for actual feedback or just to hear others sing their praises of hondas but that's my experience.

Last edited:

mdub

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I stopped buying Honda cars after too many issues with my 2009 pilot, so am by no means a Honda fan boy, but believe their mowers are probably better than most of the junk out there from what i have read. I did think about an exmark 21 with the kawa fj180 engine, but I cant justify $1,100 and the weight is similar to the jx around 110 pounds i think.

dfbrown

Threads
Thanks for the reply. Im looking at the HRX217VKA, and perhaps an HRN216 to save a bit, but think Id like the larger motor. I have read some complaints about the autochoke system, some issues with individual wheel adjusters, etc. so wonder if going new may not be better. Still debating but would love to hear other thoughts too!
i got my in-laws a hrx217vka last year and 8 use it all the time until they move back soon permanentl. Very nice and simple. Transmission is very simple and basic and no throttle cable to deal with. Pulls backwards just fine and can adjust the speed very small or large increments very easily. Mulches awesome. I recently got a new hrn216vya but have not used it yes as I have way too many machines as it is. The gcv170 should be plenty powerful enough. The new gcv170 and gcv200 have a updated autochoke system. Works just fine no issues that I have ever had even on the old ones. Not saying something couldn’t or hasn’t failed but it’s pretty good.

your probably looking at a Honda hrn216vka $409.00 or Honda hrx217vka $619.00. Is the extra $210.00 Worth it. Depends on your circumstances of lawn and size and hills etc. btw the 2 point height as to 4 point height adjusters the new 2 point on hrn216 moves very very easily. Look at the specs between the 2 and menuever both units and look at them in detail. You’ll see where the $210.00 is. Motor sizes wheel size deck material. How the self propelled handles are different. Check them out and ask questions. Remember buy once cry once. Good luck