Scotts s1642 Drive Belt keeps coming off

clintimania

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I am a beginner when it comes to mower repair.

I have a scotts s1642 and yesterday while mowing, the drive belt came off. I found a diagram showing the routing and took a picture and used the diagram to place the belt back in the proper location but as soon as I start the mower, it comes off again. I dont put it into gear or anything, I start the mower and look underneath and the belt is off. I did this twice. Each time after replacing the belt back in proper position, checking the tightness and re-tightening the spring loaded pulley, everything looked and felt great. Start the mower and boom, off again. Any ideas?

Thank you
Clint

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Without looking at the mower it hard to tell what the problem is. One of the first things I would suspect is something wrong with the belt. Then also check for something out of alignment or a pulley bearing going bad? If you decide you need a belt make sure you buy the right belt from the dealer.

clintimania

Forum Newbie
Threads
Without looking at the mower it hard to tell what the problem is. One of the first things I would suspect is something wrong with the belt. Then also check for something out of alignment or a pulley bearing going bad? If you decide you need a belt make sure you buy the right belt from the dealer.

Ok I will go check these things and report back. Also if I can take a picture or video of anything to help explain, let me know and I will do so.

Also, how tight should the belt be? It felt tight to me.. it was really hard to get it over that last pulley even with the spring loaded pulley moving.

Thank you

clintimania

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok im checking all the pulleys and they all seem to turn easy. The only one that takes a little pressure to turn Is the rear most pulley that drives the fan and the rear end. Sound ok?

clintimania

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is the route and as many good pics as I could take.
The silver pulley is at the front and that little string of fray is not on the belt, just debris.
My biggest concern is in the multi pulley pic, looks as if the belt is touching but that is how diagram has it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 8

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok im checking all the pulleys and they all seem to turn easy. The only one that takes a little pressure to turn Is the rear most pulley that drives the fan and the rear end. Sound ok?

Just taking a guess without seeing anything just maybe some of the cords broke inside of the belt where you can't physically see them? You say the pulleys turn easy but do the bearing turn smooth and don't wobble ? Something is wrong but it is something you will have look for or you might need someone who has some experience to give you a hand on this.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will also say it's going to be the belt. Most times when a belt keeps coming off its time to replace it.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

clintimania

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will also say it's going to be the belt. Most times when a belt keeps coming off its time to replace it.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Yeah even if something else is wrong. I am going to go ahead and get a new one. I am this deep into it, I might as well change it and have that checked off the list.
I will get that going and let you all know the results.

Thanks again for all the tips

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is disagreement whenever I say this but, If you plan on buying a belt buy the right belt from a dealer. I don't know the number of time I have seen someone buy a automotive style belt and now don't understand why it keeps coming off.

clintimania

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is disagreement whenever I say this but, If you plan on buying a belt buy the right belt from a dealer. I don't know the number of time I have seen someone buy a automotive style belt and now don't understand why it keeps coming off.

Yeah I ordered one from the manufacturer.