Scotts 1642 starting problem

Gene48

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is my story:
1. Scotts 1642 working normally with no indications of problems.
2. Out of service for two weeks while I replaced both blade spindles and blades.
3..On first attempt to restart, engine turns over vigorously, but no ignition at all.
4. I suspect the seat presence switch, remove the plug, and temporarily jumper across the switch.
5. Next attempt to start, engine starts promptly, normally, and runs normally.
BUT:
6. Starting was done as normal with brake depressed; upon release of brake, engine stops immediately.
7. Repeated several times; each time engine starts promptly while brake is depressed, quits when brake is released.

I am not a novice at this stuff; I have a wiring diagram and easily see that there are two "safety" circuits.
(1) starter safety circuit: contains PTO engagement switch and brake pedal switch in series with the starter solenoid connecton
tio 12 v from the starter switch. So PTO must be disengaged and brake pedal depressed to start engine.
(2) spark plug ignition circuit: contains the seat presence switch which grounds the lead from magneto armature allowing
connection to spark plug when sufficient weight in on the seat.

It seems obvious that the spark ignition circuit is somehow being interrupted when the brake pedal is released.
What could be going on? The brake pedal switch is in the starter safety circuit, and is no way related to the spark
plug ignition circuit. According to my circuit diagram, the two circuits are completely independent. No way the brake
switch should be able to break the spark ignition circuit. I'm beginning to suspect the wiring diagram I have may
be incomplete, and not an accurate representation of the equipment itself. I must be missing something very simple,
but just can't comprehend what is going on here. Engine runs fine when brake pedal is depressed but quits when pedal
is released. Any ideas, folks?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They are not independent .
They are all joined together , usually at the PTO switch if you have electric PTO
Otherwise the brake switch is a double switch
The brake & seat are tied together so you can get off engine running and brake on to do things like mover trash & open gates
But without the brake on the mower stops before it runs over you as you hae just fallen off.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think you might misreading the diagram if it sn >035000 but I would to see your diagram to make sure.