Scag Turf Tiger left steering jerks

tools

Forum Newbie
Threads
Left steering jerks as you start forward motion. Had the pump rebuilt but did not help. At full forward, have to back off on right side so it does not over power and turn to left. Left will not keep up. Have changed H/fluid and filter twice. My mechanic said it is not the wheel motor because it either works or doesn't. He told me when he rebuilt the left pump that he could find nothing wrong with it but already had the kit so it was rebuilt. He said that the left side had to be sucking air at some point. Looking for advise before I start changing out hoses.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Increase the tension in the drive belt
The right gets the direct pull from the engine so the left is on the slack side
This allows the belt to slip rather than drive when a sudden load is put on it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If there is a problem with the wheel motor and wasn't caught the pump gets trashed. If the system wasn't flushed after the pump rebuild then most likely the pump has been damaged from the debris floating around in the system.

Hydrostat systems for the most part are a closed loop operation. Meaning as you change directions the oil in the pump goes to the motor and then back to the pump. the only oil that gets filtered is the oil that is lost in operation. So if a hydrostat system is 90 percent efficient that means 90 percent of the oil between the pump and the motor is being recirculated and the other 10 percent gets returned to the oil tank and is filtered as needed to replenish the oil lost from the loop, .Any debris in that closed system then get recirculated between the pump and the motor causing damage

tools

Forum Newbie
Threads
Increase the tension in the drive belt
The right gets the direct pull from the engine so the left is on the slack side
This allows the belt to slip rather than drive when a sudden load is put on it.
Very possible. Have not looked at this issue but will do so in the morning. Thanks for your help.

tools

Forum Newbie
Threads
If there is a problem with the wheel motor and wasn't caught the pump gets trashed. If the system wasn't flushed after the pump rebuild then most likely the pump has been damaged from the debris floating around in the system.

Hydrostat systems for the most part are a closed loop operation. Meaning as you change directions the oil in the pump goes to the motor and then back to the pump. the only oil that gets filtered is the oil that is lost in operation. So if a hydrostat system is 90 percent efficient that means 90 percent of the oil between the pump and the motor is being recirculated and the other 10 percent gets returned to the oil tank and is filtered as needed to replenish the oil lost from the loop, .Any debris in that closed system then get recirculated between the pump and the motor causing damage
Thanks for the info. Did not understand exactly how the system operates.

Hoosier Tree Farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old 72" Sabre Tooth Scag with a 31 hp 3 cylinder engine. It was very jerky to operate. Had to dealer and the mechanics could not figure out the problem as it only occurred at full throttle when mowing.
Turns out there are 4 dampers that create drag on hydraulic motor levers. When they wear out, they are too loose and jerky response results. Replaced the two I saw in the front of the mower, and solved half of the problem. Several years later I found the other two in the far back end of the mower. Very clever hiding spot, and very difficult to remove clips to replace on ball joints. That finally cured the jerkiness. Nice back up mower to newer 35 HP Turf Tiger 72".