Scag Tiger Cat weak side

jjlw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2012 Scag Tiger Cat 61", Kohler motor, just turned 400 hours. The hydros have always seemed a little weak since new. Last fall the left side was getting weaker, especially when mowing length ways with the ditch bank or hillsides. Had the Scag dealer look at it early spring/ They said it had an hydraulic oil leak and drive belt needed replaced due to having oil on it. $375 later, didn't clean up the leak and I still have the same problem.
Seem like the longer it runs the weaker it gets now.
System has new fluid and filter. I have not found any metal particals by using a magnet. Oil is 3" down from top of fill neck. No leaks. Linkage is tight and adjusted accordingly. Short of replacing drive belt, what am I missing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For some reason that I can not fathom, left side hydros tend to overheat more than right side.
They also seem to get dirtier.
On a few I have moved the idler spring to make the belt tighter and another I fitted a bigger idler to get more contact on the left pulley.
Because the engin e spins clockwise the right pulley gets a direct pull on from the engine.
The left is on the slack side of the engine pulley so will be more prone to slipping .
I think this is a fundamental design flaw resulting from running 2 pumps off a single belt in a triangle where you can not get 180 degrees of contact between the belt & the pulley

Luffydog

Threads
Have them do a hydro flow test and see what the flow rate is on the pump. If the flow rate is let's say 8psi per min at 2200 rpm and it drops more than 4 psi at any number of flow rate wether it's 8 7 9.5 or whatever if it drops out 4psi of flow the pump is bad and needs to be replaced. If it is good drain your hydro tank and look for brass shavings In the tank which will not stick to a magnet brass is wheel motor parts wearing and steel is pumps wearing and also could be the good ole dreaded combo of both

jjlw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went through yesterday and made sure bypass on both pumps were "tight" according to specs in manual. Took all of left side linkage apart and retightened. One bolt was loose where linkage bolts onto pump shaft. Don't really think this could affect operation since linkage has a roll pin through the pump shaft as well. Just by doing a test run on the concrete driveway, it seemed better. When pushing both levers forward at full throttle, it would pull both front wheels off the ground for about 3 feet. Before it would seem like pumps would go flat.
It will be a couple days before I can mow after 8" of rain and counting.

jjlw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally had a chance to mow. Problem still exists. If I am mowing length ways with the road ditch, on a slope or uphill the left side slowly gets weaker to the point it only has half the power of the right. Starts off strong and gets weaker the longer you run.
Any other suggestions before I go the dealer?