Scag. MSRP false advertising.

Hurlsbud

Forum Newbie
Threads
Scag’s website has a “Build Your Mower” function. I selected a Tiger Cat II with a 52” deck and the 26hp KAW EFI engine. MSRP Comes up as $8950. It also gives me the option of viewing the price under their “Simply the Brave” program which lowers price to $7608. I’ve spoken to two dealers who quotes “best price” even above the $8950 for that configuration. I emailed the regional rep who claims that the website is in error but yet the error hasn’t been fixed and it still shows that price. Seems misleading and a way to get you in the door...a bait and switch kinda thing. Of course, the Scag website also doesn’t have a number to call the company and if you fill in their “contact us” form it just gets sent back to the regional rep. This all leaves a bad impression. Think I’m moving on to another brand. Anybody else experienced this type of stuff from Scag before?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
No, but reaching a real live person for customer service these days is an exercise in futility. If the FAQ doesn't get the answer you need you're out of luck. So much for a "service economy." Don't know if any other brand has any better support but I'd sure look elsewhere. Locally Cub Cadet has the best servicing and dealer seems like. I'm pretty impressed with the Ferris mowers though.

Romore

Threads
If the dealers don't want to match the price that is up to them. Maybe they can't.

Hurlsbud

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the dealers don't want to match the price that is up to them. Maybe they can't.
Sure...I understand and don’t fault the dealers at all. I just think it’s really shady practice for Scag (and in fairness a lot of other companies) to both advertise a price on something on their website that is no where near what a person can buy it for and also to wave the flag claiming they are giving this great military/first responder discount when in reality few if any will take advantage of it because dealers will always sell for less. If they truly wanted to help, they would offer this discount as a rebate from the company outside of whatever price the dealer sets.
And please don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect and always appreciate a military discount. Just don’t claim you’re offering it and being all patriotic when in reality you’re just looking for the publicity.

cruzenmike

Threads
This is the type of thing that you should be reporting to the Attorney General. Gather all of your facts including printouts and formal quotes from dealers and then send it on its way. At the same time notify the Better Business Bureau.

I have had issues with manufactures but honestly the regional reps have been more than helpful in my specific cases. Scag makes a great machine, and it would be a shame to give up such a piece of equipment but principles are principles and if you cannot hand them what they want, work with someone who will. Good customer service goes a long way and in this day and age is half of what you are buying.