RZT 50

DougA

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an rzt50 with a 26hp B/S motor I am having trouble with. I installed a new pto switch and a new pto clutch, but the mower will not engage the blades. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to why its not working. I can drive it around it runs great but the blades won't kick in. Any help is appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seat switch is faulty
With the engine off and you in the seat the clutch should engage & dissengage as you push & pull the switch with a resounding klunk .
If not check the plug , with some one sitting in the seat . Check both side of the switch as some switch the + side and others switch the - side
The clutch has it's own fuse so dont forget to check that it has not blown.
Clutch fuse is usually 10 A or under
Mower fuse is usually 20 A
And to make life difficult they are rarely placed together .

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also can be that both reverse switches are burned out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes Cub Cadet RZT (residental zero turn) uses reverse switches to disable the PTO clutch in full reverse. They are wired in parallel so you can turn in a backwards mode with the PTO is active but not in full reverse. As you come back out of full reverse the PTO re-engages automatically.
CUB RTZ Reverse.JPG

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
See page 4 for air gap adjustment PTO clutch. Also see pages 20-22 in RZT 2004-2005-Manual concerning PTO switch. Seat switch is on page 20. Wiring schematics are on pages 25 & 26. Make sure ground wire from PTO clutch to frame is tight.
Be sure to Burnish your new clutch, scroll down page to click on questions for proper procedure. Let us know how it goes DougA, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes Cub Cadet RZT (residental zero turn) uses reverse switches to disable the PTO clutch in full reverse. They are wired in parallel so you can turn in a backwards mode with the PTO is active but not in full reverse. As you come back out of full reverse the PTO re-engages automatically.
View attachment 54371
Learn some thing new every day
Thank you

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am not sure if it is mandated on residential zero turns but quite a few of the residential box store mowers i have worked on have that feature. None of the commercial ones do. Maybe it is like the tractor mowers that kill the engine if you reverse with the blades engaged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I really try to avoid working on big box ZTR.s
had nothing but trouble with a couple of craftsmans
Got a customer with the biggest piece of trash Husqvarna with a manual PTO that eats 2 belts a season.
I do hae a few JD EZ series and they tend to restore ones faith and a few of the steering wheel Cubs
After that all commercials .