Replacement Blade

ahr aitch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper self-propelled walk behind mower with the B&S 7.0 hp OHV engine. After resolving some fuel system problems, I discovered when cutting that I need a new blade. The blade is like the one pictured below with the splits on the ends. Do I have to replace it with one just like it? They seem to cost about twice as much as a regular blade. What does the irregularly shaped end of the blade do that a regular straight shaft blade doesn't do? Can I replace it with a regular blade without damaging the engine?

1601158513431.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The mower does not care what is on the end of the PTO shaft ,
There are only 2 important things
1) It is balanced end to end and left to right , although it is the end to end that is critical
2) it is tight on the shaft

After that you can fit any thing you like.
The down side is the deck is shaped to control the airflow under the deck which in turn will have a drastic effect on the way the mower cuts , bags & throws
And also how noisy the deck is in operation .
The complicated blade is designed to recut the clippings particularly suitable for mulching .

No blade is perfect for every type of grass , growing on every lawn in every yard.
So it is a case of finding what works bes for you.
And money is no guide a to how well the particular combination will work for you.

Decades ago sales staff would ask you what type of grass you have, what sol type you have how often water, fertilize & mow.
Now days they just steer you to the highest profit mower then try to brain wash you into believing it is the only one that will work for you.

ahr aitch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I'm sharpening the blade I took off and have ordered a new one.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put up your model number. Oregon makes great blades. They have a few different types that should fit your mower.

slomo

SamB

Threads
I know this is an old thread,but my 2 cents is the Snapper Ninja blade shown in your pic is more a sales ploy than a benefit to how well your mower cuts. I've tried them on my mowers,and as with the "Gator" blades,but not worth my money for the results I have gotten,using them.
In regards to the Oregon blades,Oregon has several blades at different price points,all for the same cutting width. Their 'Durable' blades are by far,the best,thickest blade I have found to hold up through many cutting hours and multiple sharpenings. As was said before,Oregon makes great blades.

Last edited:

ken2

Threads
That is a Ninja mulching blade. It can be replaced with a normal blade or a Gator mulching blade.