replaced carb on sthil weedeater, but it keeps stalling

jvilla85

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / replaced carb on sthil weedeater, but it keeps stalling
I replaced a NEW carb on stihl trimmer and tuned it (somewhat) stays on but when I give it gas it stalls.. could it be a faulty carb? or what can I be doing wrong!?(unit is 7 yrs old) gas is fresh and good mix

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since you did not give us any model numbers or carb numbers, I'm going to guess that you need to open the low speed mixture screw, to allow more fuel during the transission phase.

jvilla85

Forum Newbie
Threads
stihl fs 90 r , I started to fiddle with it again and it seems to stay on now, BUT It wants to stall when you start working with it or bump for more nylon string, I had the same problem when old carb was on, has new spark plug also, replaced air filter,

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check both fuel lines. Make sure they are in good shape, no cracks, not hard, not broke off in the tank, filter good, etc. Replace if at all questionable.

jvilla85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you very much, ill go ahead and change all, apart from this, so you don't think its a carb tuning issue, like I said earlier it runs good I ran at full throttle for awhile, I let cooled down and turned on back on and ran good, just when you work that's when it wants to bum out

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It probably does need some tuning, but you can't do that correctly until you are sure that there are no air leaks and fuel is always getting to the carb.

Mike88se

Threads
It probably does need some tuning, but you can't do that correctly until you are sure that there are no air leaks and fuel is always getting to the carb.
Agreed, especially since it was doing the same thing with the old carb on there. You may be better at tweaking carbs than I am but to me it's not easy even if everything else is perfect. I'm having a similar problem with a blower but there's no hi/lo needle valves to tweak. I think I'm getting it sorted out though. Good luck!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Today's fuels reek havoc on the small plastic lines. Replace more lines and filters than carbs.