replaced broken shear pin and mower still yanked cord first 5 pulls

twinfords

Threads
  • / replaced broken shear pin and mower still yanked cord first 5 pulls
i replaced a broken shear pin in a Poulan Pro push mower (6 hp Tecumseh OHV ) engine and when pulling the pull cord for the first 5 times it wanted to recoil on me, once i pulled it slowly several times the mower started on the 1st pull, why would it do this? vapor lock?, oil /fuel in the cylinder?

chance123

Threads
I assume that you are referring to a sheared "Flywheel key" yes? If thats the case, How did it shear? When you replaced it did you torque the flywheel to spec?

twinfords

Threads
yes flywheel key, this is a customers mower, i assume they hit something with the blade which caused the broken flywheel key, the like new blade was on upside down as well.

DaveTN

Threads
yes flywheel key, this is a customers mower, i assume they hit something with the blade which caused the broken flywheel key, the like new blade was on upside down as well.

First of the week I had a friend who called me saying his 5 HP B&S side-shaft tiller was backfiring and wouldn't start. Asked me what I thought it was. Immediately I told him..."Sheared Key" on the flywheel. He replaced it. Ran a while, then backfired again and quit. Same thing. Replaced another key...same story. Called me and I said..."You're not getting the flywheel torque high enough. Torque the flywheel and it won't do that." He did and it works great. But that wouldn't account for your situation with hard kick-backs and jerks if the key isn't sheared, or partially sheared. I've seen flywheel keys just partly crimped and cause that jerking and kicking back.