Replace blade control cable_Troy-Bilt 860 series, but other problems

GrowinWeeds

Threads
  • / Replace blade control cable_Troy-Bilt 860 series, but other problems
This Troy-bilt 860 series w/ Briggs engine is 10 yrs old - moderate use. The blade or stop engine control cable snapped. Very end of the section that came out had some rust. Part # 746-04438.
I've never taken the plastic cover off - except I thought about it once to drain oil. Became apparent that turning it over - draining out the fill tube was faster.

Couple things I'm wondering. How long do the "V" drive belts last on these under light residential use? I only tightened the cable / speed control once, after the belt stretched a bit - yrs ago.
Wonder if I should replace the belt while the cover underneath is off?

Other thing - wife has been mowing the last couple yrs. I showed her exactly how to wash under the deck, but not force water under the plastic covering. Said she washed it clean each time. (y)
When the cable broke, I noticed a decent half dollar size rusted out hole in top of the deck and several other places with bubbling paint. Haven't investigated the others - may not be rusted through.

10 yrs is a bit short life, even on the cheapest push mowers. Engine still starts / runs great. I'm guessing they used thinner sheet metal than even cheap mowers used 20 yrs ago.
I may find the other 2 cables have rust once I dismantle it. That might be too much to put in it, unless I found a cheap parts mower w/ good cables. Sounds like a lot of running around looking at old mowers.

I have a gas welder but I'm not exactly a pro. If there's only one bigger hole & a couple of pin holes, I'm not sure of the best way to fill in a larger hole. You'd want it where no water can hide in a patch underneath.
It could be a little or lot bigger that a half dollar, after I grind away any unsound metal.

Don't care what a patch looks like, as long as it lasts pretty well. If the deck looks more like Swiss cheese, I'd either be looking for a cheap parts mower, or a new mower.
Maybe one that doesn't rust out.
Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Replace blade control cable_Troy-Bilt 860 series, but other problems
At ten years you’ve got the life out of that mower. Steel deck mowers last about 5-10 years depending on how meticulous they are maintained. Simplest patch would be a piece of sheet metal .formed and pop riveted over the hole.