Repair 18hp Intek, swap in 12hp I/C, or buy new?

Eddie S

Threads
Hi all.

I've got an '04 Craftsman LT1000 42" with 18hp Intek, that's been mowing a 2-acre property for almost 17 years. Replaced plenty of parts on the chassis, but only the starter on the engine. Past couple of years, started blowing lots of smoke when cold, or going up an incline. Takes about a quart every time the 2 acres is mowed. I don't know if this has a sleeved bore, but I'm suspecting rings are shot at least. I haven't taken the engine apart, and don't have the tools to hone the bore, but believe I can put in new piston and rings. Other alternatives are I have a good running 12hp I/C that is on a '90 ACE Hardware (MTD) mower, or purchase a new OHV Briggs.

Concerns with the I/C engine is the muffler is mounted on the opposite side, and it doesn't have a manifold to route the muffler below and in front of the engine like the Intek does, but instead routes the exhaust pipe down and to the front. Not sure it'll fit, but I think I could fabricate something. Also, it has had a butcher wiring job by the previous owner, so no molex plug for quick swap, but I'm pretty sure I could figure that out. I never used this for mowing purposes, just getting around the property, so not sure if the 12hp flat head will have the power to bag like the 18hp OHV did.

Concerns with putting a new engine in is that'll be 1/4 the cost of a new lawn tractor, and just not sure how long the Peerless transaxle will last in this 17-year old HOP/AYP Craftsman.

Any thoughts are appreciated.