Removing main nozzle

dave527

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HRR216VKA walk-behind mower. I was having problems starting it so I removed the carburetor to clean it out. I was able to remove the main jet, but could not remove the main nozzle. I tried using an allen wrench to push it down and out, but it will not budge. Any suggestions on how to get it out? Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
As far as i know it is not removable. Most aren't..
What engine we dealing with here? GCV 160 or 190?

dave527

Forum Newbie
Threads
GCV 160
I sprayed carb cleaner up thru the main nozzle and could see it coming out inside the carburetor. I've also replaced the fuel, flushed the fuel line, and replaced the spark plug, but the mower will not start. It just sputters when I pull the cord.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Remove the air filter cover and filter, and spray carb spray directly into the carb, then try to start, if it still sputters, you may have an ignition ( spark) problem, if runs good or better then dies, most likely still a carb issue...

dave527

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your help. When I put in the new spark plug, I checked that it had spark. I sprayed engine starting fluid into the carb as you recommended. After a couple of pulls it started popping and sputtering, but would not start. Also white smoke comes out the same side of the carb where I sprayed the starting fluid. I let it sit for 10 minutes and tried starting it again (not adding any more starting fluid). There is no more white smoke but it's back to popping again.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Hmmm.. I wonder if the flywheel key sheared.. That will mess up the ignition timing and could cause it just to sputter.. Have you hit anything recently?

dave527

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not to my knowledge. My son mows the lawn, but we live in a subdivision so it's pretty much flat lawn. Is there any way to test the flywheel key or do I just need to take it to a shop?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Now you won't need to replace the flywheel, but this video will show you the steps how to get to the flywheel, you'll see the keyway in the slot, it should be a perfect square in the slot even a slight shear can cause issues.

dave527

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again for your help. I didn't find any issue with the flywheel key so I decided to take it to the repair shop as I needed to get the lawn mowed. :)
They found it had a stuck intake valve. So luckily nothing major.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That Will do it! Glad you were able to get your issue resolved and Thank you for coming back and telling us what the fix was.