Question for Scag operators that mulch with their ZTRs

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Question for Scag operators that mulch with their ZTRs
Hi Troops,
I've never had mulching blades on any of my machines, therefore my question is, how well do Scag Velocity deck machines mulch???
Thank you!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone have the Scag Hurricane Mulching system on their Scag ZTR???

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Mackie,

I don't have the hurricane system but i do have the blocking plate and gator blades. They do an ok job but expect a lot of dust and leaves getting on top of the deck. I have concern when this happens for twigs getting caught between the pulleys and belts. This could cause belt to break or jump off pulley. I had this to happen with a JD that i had for several years.

The hurricane system looks nice but I don't know anyone that runs it.

-bobby
Turf Tiger

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Bobby,
I get lots of stuff on my tiger Cub when using the collection system. Sometimes I have to stop mid way thru a job and blow down the machine with my back pack blower.
Lots of Scag operators in my area have collection systems, but I don't know of any with the dedicated mulching system although many have two machines on their trailers.
I intended to stop at my local Scag dealer today, but with trailer in tow, there was no parking accessible as they were very busy. Still looking at a new 52" Tiger Cat with the Hurricane mulching system, although my financial manager, (bride of 46 years) tells me that I'll be 75 when it gets paid off if I finance it!!! My comment was, "what is your point"!!! HaHa!!!:laughing::laughing:

Tdog

Threads
Hi Bobby,
I get lots of stuff on my tiger Cub when using the collection system. Sometimes I have to stop mid way thru a job and blow down the machine with my back pack blower.
Lots of Scag operators in my area have collection systems, but I don't know of any with the dedicated mulching system although many have two machines on their trailers.
I intended to stop at my local Scag dealer today, but with trailer in tow, there was no parking accessible as they were very busy. Still looking at a new 52" Tiger Cat with the Hurricane mulching system, although my financial manager, (bride of 46 years) tells me that I'll be 75 when it gets paid off if I finance it!!! My comment was, "what is your point"!!! HaHa!!!:laughing::laughing:

I try to avoid my Scag dealer, but have to pick up some fuel lines I ordered this week. Have to get out of their quickly before I start looking....my boss say she has other plans. :laughing:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did finally stop at my local Scag dealer and actually had a beneficial chat. Evidently they haven't sold many Scag Hurricane Mulching systems although they felt it was a great accessory. No one here has responded as yet with any comments. I never did ask the price, but I was told that the blades specific to the system must be used. I have a feeling that the deck would need more frequent cleaning with the Scag Hurricane Mulching system.
We also chatted about the V Rider which is a stander type machine and for my type of mowing a V Rider or most any stander would not be suitable as I use collection and am on a two week schedule with most of my customers. The other negative aspect of a stander machine is not being able to quickly raise the deck while passing over rocks, roots, etc.
So I came away satisfied with this conversation and I may purchase a set of Gator blades to experiment with mulching for my own education.

ernie_h

Forum Newbie
Threads
A not too old thread, but new to the forum and was reading through the posts. I do have the Hurricane Mulching system that I had installed when I purchased my Turf Tiger/52"/Kohler EFI last summer after moving out to the country. I'm happy with it, but it's my first ZTR so I don't have an apples to apples comp with a Gator blade/mulch plate alternative. Most of the commercial folks around here seem to side-discharge. That said, I have too-many-to count post oaks on the property (~3 acres), and the mulch kit really worked well in mulching up the leaves on the acre that is lawn [with lots of dust!]. Cleaning the deck really wasn't that much of an issue. Next fall, though, I may add one of the collection systems for the leaves, in which case my understanding (which may be incorrect) is that I may have to go back to the original baffles to make collection more efficient.

ernie

PS My dealer also mentioned he has not installed a large number of Hurricane systems, but he indicated the same regarding the collection systems.

I did finally stop at my local Scag dealer and actually had a beneficial chat. Evidently they haven't sold many Scag Hurricane Mulching systems although they felt it was a great accessory. No one here has responded as yet with any comments. I never did ask the price, but I was told that the blades specific to the system must be used. I have a feeling that the deck would need more frequent cleaning with the Scag Hurricane Mulching system.
We also chatted about the V Rider which is a stander type machine and for my type of mowing a V Rider or most any stander would not be suitable as I use collection and am on a two week schedule with most of my customers. The other negative aspect of a stander machine is not being able to quickly raise the deck while passing over rocks, roots, etc.
So I came away satisfied with this conversation and I may purchase a set of Gator blades to experiment with mulching for my own education.

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A Scag collection system includes several different under deck baffles particularly the one across the front. I'm very pleased with my Scag collection system and when I want to mow with open discharge I remove the blower and the hose, and install the plastic chute, very easy to do. The adjustments made to the baffles are set to a particular mowing height setting and not easily readjusted. I think that mine is set at 3 1/2", but I'm not sure. I did replace the fan in my blower last fall at 500 hours as it was wearing on the blade tips. The blower housing was still fairly erosion free.
When I first posted the question about the Hurricane Mulching system, I was considering buying a new Tiger Cat that I would have kept at the location of one of my accounts but I decided that a new trailer was a higher priority. As the snow/ice has started to melt, there is no doubt that I will need the collection system more at all my customers places this spring after all the stuff that I see on their lawns to include my own.
Mad Mackie in CT:smile:

Threads
Mackie,

I don't have the hurricane system but i do have the blocking plate and gator blades. They do an ok job but expect a lot of dust and leaves getting on top of the deck. I have concern when this happens for twigs getting caught between the pulleys and belts. This could cause belt to break or jump off pulley. I had this to happen with a JD that i had for several years.

The hurricane system looks nice but I don't know anyone that runs it.

-bobby
Turf Tiger

Yep, and that belt is not cheap.. this is an older thread but still can produce some good info.