Quantum 650 smoke & hard start

tjharring

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Bilt lawn vac and chipper with a Briggs & Stratton 124T02-0510B1. Originally I had a problem with an oil leak on the carburetor side of the engine. I thought it may have been a leak at the crankshaft seal but it was not. When I took everything apart and went to remove the air cleaner housing I noticed that the intake manifold was loose. I got a full turn on each bolt to tighten the intake. That stopped the oil leak and I was hoping that would stop the smoke and hard start issue but it did not. I also inspected the breather system and everything is clear. When I am shutting down the engine to empty the bag blue smoke comes out of the muffler. While the engine is running there is no smoke and the Engine is strong. Also after the engine has been running for approx. a half hour, if I stop it to empty the bag it is very difficult to start. After it sits for about 10 minutes it will start up..
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
A loose intake manifold shouldn't cause an oil leak... as it carries the fuel mix straight from the carburetor to the intake port.
Engine oil not over full? 20ounces is the max capacity.

tjharring

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since I tightened the bolts on the intake, and snugged the bolts on the cover for a breather passage under the flywheel the oil leak seems to have stopped. The oil level is slightly below the full mark on the dipstick. I had assumed that the loose intake was causing the hard start issue when hot, but it was not.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well have you check for spark when it won't start? Kinda sounds like a heat soak ignition coil not working.

tjharring

Forum Newbie
Threads
No I have not, but I will and let you know. Probably won't be until the weekend

tjharring

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got around to checking. When the engine got hot, tried to start it 3 times and it would not start. Pulled the plug to check for spark and there was spark. I reinstalled the plug and tried again, no joy. About 5 minutes later it started with 2 pulls. After that the machine would have to sit for approx. 5 to 10 minutes before it would start again.