Quality of cut information

Barbqman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone tell me where I can find comparisons of the quality of cut of lawn tractors. I’m sure some mowers do a better job than others, but it seems like reviews never mention this aspect. Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Dennis

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a good reason for that
A mower that cuts golf course clean in Florida usually won't handle Texas tussock grass
Mowers set up for the soft lush grasses from places that get snow covered will make a mess of a lawn in California.
Rule of thumb is the thinner the blade & the faster the tip moves the better the cut,
Then there are things like overlap
Most residentials have 1/2" or less of overlap so leave uncut strips between the blades
Commercials usually have a bigger overlap and of course timed blades are even better but now days you only find them on articulated mowers & top end commercials like Walker
Toro produce a manual called just that "Quality of Cut " but you need the Toro manual number to download it .
Hopefully one of the Toro guys will chime in with the number for it .
It explains in very clear fashion how to choose the RIGHT blade / deck combination for your grass.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Listen to Bert on this one, he’s hit the nail on the head this time. I think this is the manual Bert is referring to.https://www.toro.com/getpub/25572

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for that I was hoping you would know what I was blubbering about .
When downloading complete Toro model manuals I have ended up downloading it about 50 times.
You would think I would recognise the number after while wouldn't you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Trying to remember all those numbers hurts my old brain. I don’t know any of the numbers, just where to look for them.

wekjo

Threads
You will find nothing better than a simplicity cut. The roller bar which follows the ground stops scalping and maintains constant height across back of deck. Still needs maintenance and periodic adjustment, like anything.

Barbqman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for the great info. I’ve downloaded the manual & will start with that.

Gord Baker

Threads
Can anyone tell me where I can find comparisons of the quality of cut of lawn tractors. I’m sure some mowers do a better job than others, but it seems like reviews never mention this aspect. Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Dennis
I have had many of the cheaper models of J.D. lawn tractors. I inherited an X320 with Kawasaki engine, 48" and the cut is far above the 100 series. Totally different deck hanging assembly. New trans at 280 hrs!!!!