Putting in a new shed, Need Foundation

hurst1979olds

Threads
20150712_202610_resized (800x450).jpg
I am looking to install a new shed. I want it to go in a certain spot, but there is a grade. I live in a area where we get heavy rains and heavy snows.I want this to be sturdy and last. But I also want it to be relatively inexpensive. I was thinking of blocking it, but that seems like a high retaining wall and would alot of stone. What would you recommend? All ideas are greatly appreciated.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
First of all I would check for zoning laws. When I made my shed in upper NY where we get -20 degree weather and very heavy snow fall. I just laid the cement blocks on the ground and leveled, squared, them. Then I built the floor on top of the blocks. Then built the building on top of the floor. The building moves with the frost. Its been there since 1995 and still looking good. The only problem with a building built like that is that its high off the ground. Other then that you will have to put a foundation that is below the frost line for your location, but you also said you didn't want to spend much money. I see the picture and it looks like you are just building a wall that just lays on the ground. The problem I see with that is the frost will destroy your wall in time. The ground moves as it freezes in the winter time so you want your building designed so it can move with the frost.

hurst1979olds

Threads
Well originally I planned on digging down a little bit. Laying stone then setting the block at the perimeter. Then fill the center with stone. But when I roped it off is when I noticed how unlevel is it. That block is what I was going to use as the whole perimeter, I didnt plan on building a back wall that high for sure.

I'm thinking of mortaring all the blocks together, putting 3-4' rebar into the ground, filling the cavities on the block.

Digging footings for me is a pain the *** with all the rock in the ground. My luck itd go to dig the first footing and end up hitting a 6' boulder.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well originally I planned on digging down a little bit. Laying stone then setting the block at the perimeter. Then fill the center with stone. But when I roped it off is when I noticed how unlevel is it. That block is what I was going to use as the whole perimeter, I didnt plan on building a back wall that high for sure.

I'm thinking of mortaring all the blocks together, putting 3-4' rebar into the ground, filling the cavities on the block.

Digging footings for me is a pain the *** with all the rock in the ground. My luck itd go to dig the first footing and end up hitting a 6' boulder.

Not knowing the frost in your area I hope it works out for you. We are required 48 in here. I would hire a back hoe if you don't like digging by hand. It sounds like a lot of money and work just to have the frost destroy your building. Do you have a zoning officer or building contractor in your town because I am sure they will tell you what is required for your area. East Stroudsburg is that in the state of Pennsylvania and if so you must have frost??

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lay a concrete slab. It will last longer and if it shifts the whole structure will shift together ensuring doors /Windows stay functional. 4in is cheap 6in is good 8in is best

hurst1979olds

Threads
When I asked the company who I'm buying the shed from. They said lay 3-4" of stone. I told them at the time I thought it was on a 12" grade and he said encase the stone with railroad tie. I had the zoning person come out to give me the ok on the position of the shed. But she doesn't know building laws. I'll have to call the building inspector.

I don't need a building permit tho because it's under a certain square foot and there's no electric going out to it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I asked the company who I'm buying the shed from. They said lay 3-4" of stone. I told them at the time I thought it was on a 12" grade and he said encase the stone with railroad tie. I had the zoning person come out to give me the ok on the position of the shed. But she doesn't know building laws. I'll have to call the building inspector.

I don't need a building permit tho because it's under a certain square foot and there's no electric going out to it.

Just curious but do you pay property taxes?