Pump will not start

noquacks

Threads
People.

Have a shallow well pump, Craftsman 3/4 HP. Tested it with 120v first to make sure it actually runs. Then connected it all up with pvc pipes, and electrical 240V. I switched the button to 240V internally first. I have voltage at the pressue switch but the pump will not even start. I primed it with water as well. No luck. Could it be a bad pressure switch? Can one do anything else?

Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Time to get out the DVMM and start testing the electrical connections. The might be at the pump mode switch itself.

Just be thankful it wasn't a submersible pump that you didn't verify the 240V operation before installing. I just pulled my pump because the electrical connection broke down near the pump in the well. Had to make a tool to unmount the pit less connector and it was stuck so tight it took a engine crane to free it. Pulling a 100 ft of hose with water and pump is exhausting for a 62 yr old to do by himself.

noquacks

Threads
Time to get out the DVMM and start testing the electrical connections. The might be at the pump mode switch itself.

Just be thankful it wasn't a submersible pump that you didn't verify the 240V operation before installing. I just pulled my pump because the electrical connection broke down near the pump in the well. Had to make a tool to unmount the pit less connector and it was stuck so tight it took a engine crane to free it. Pulling a 100 ft of hose with water and pump is exhausting for a 62 yr old to do by himself.

Well, I got 240V at the 2 wires from the source (taken at the 2 "buttons" on the pressure switch), but not at the 2 other screws/contacts at the switch. But the contacts are "touching" meaning, the switch 4 contacts are touching the contact points on the switch . What is the mystery? Shouldn't my pump fire up? Why is not the 240V being transferred to the other 2 contacts?

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I got 240V at the 2 wires from the source (taken at the 2 "buttons" on the pressure switch), but not at the 2 other screws/contacts at the switch. But the contacts are "touching" meaning, the switch 4 contacts are touching the contact points on the switch . What is the mystery? Shouldn't my pump fire up? Why is not the 240V being transferred to the other 2 contacts?
Can you send a pic of the connections at the pressure switch?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had to make a tool to unmount the pit less connector and it was stuck so tight it took a engine crane to free it. Pulling a 100 ft of hose with water and pump is exhausting for a 62 yr old to do by himself.
I have 2 wells. One for the house and one for the heat pump. 120' deep and we have the slimy bacterial iron. I have had to pull pumps quite a few times in the last 25 years. Last time was a year ago. At 65 pulling up the slimy mess whipped me pretty good. I feel your pain.

noquacks

Threads
Can you send a pic of the connections at the pressure switch?

This is insane- I just measured ohms and V and got continuity on all 4 contacts on the switch. ALSO, now, I am getting 240V on the 4 contacts!! So, I figured, let me take V on the 2 leads going INTO the motor itself, I opened up the back and touched the 2 hot leads at the motor itself and they registered 240v! How can I get 240V at the motor itself and still the motor will not start?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Going to assume it is a split phase capacitor start motor. Even if the start winding or capacitor is bad you should still get a good humm out of the run winding. Does it have a capacitor?

noquacks

Threads
Going to assume it is a split phase capacitor start motor. Even if the start winding or capacitor is bad you should still get a good humm out of the run winding. Does it have a capacitor?
Yes, it has a capacitor. It is a Craftsman, Model # 390.261B, the B may be an 8, hard to read. 3/4 HP. Can I run this on 120V? The switch can be switched to the 120V side. Then I use only one wire, and cap off the other? Think that would help? I dont care what V it runs on, I hardly use it. Maybe the 240V switch position is bad, if so, the 120V side could do the trick(?).

noquacks

Threads
remember- in post #1, it ran on 120V before I connected it all up.......

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am not exactly sure what you have. I am going to assume the pump uses an external pressure switch. On the pump itself should be a tag, plate or sticker that has the motor info like voltage, amp draw, Hz and maybe some other stuff. SOME pump motors can be dual voltage 120/240 but it requires some rewiring the connections. There will usually be a schematic for this on the cover for the motor connections. If you tested it on 120v but then connected it up to 240v i am confused. What does the plate on the pump say the voltage should be?