problem with fr691v kawaski

ccelliottjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
After mowing for about 5mins(varies) motor starts running rough and making a popping so und thru exhaust or intake. After a short duration (varies)will run normal. This cycle continues .I have cleaned carb,replaced fuel filters,took to local gravely dealer problem not solved. Run out of ideas thanks for input.

577jersey

Threads
Might be a bad coil,,after the coil winding gets hot the weak spot in the wire develops high resistance and starts to do the intermittent popping thing.
Ive seen it before,,but could also be other issue as well...like a loose wire on a switch somewhere or dirty contact.

How many hours do u have on that FR engine?
Good luck!!

Tom

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What you need to check it is an inline spark plug tester. Normally around $10 to $15. When it starts acting up look to see if you are getting spark. If not then coil is bad.

577jersey

Threads
You can also check the coils using a DVM on OHM setting,,the factory has certain specs. on the resistance of a good coil VS. a bad/weak one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can also check the coils using a DVM on OHM setting,,the factory has certain specs. on the resistance of a good coil VS. a bad/weak one.

You can only check the secondary side of some coils with DVM which is why you no longer find resistance readings for them in most service manuals.

Back in the points days yes
Now in the Hall effect electronic triggers no

This is why they are now called ignition modules and not ignition coils, also why they cost 10 times as much.

I repair engines for a living and have a dozen different in line testers but the one I use most is the simple neon tube with a lead at both ends.
They fit anywhere, you can usually hold them with a cable tie or 2 so you can see them easily while on the mower.
In the shop if the engine has failed the neon tube test I put a better one on, either a Briggs 3 point or a variable gap but neither of these are suitable for using while you are mowing.

577jersey

Threads
You can only check the secondary side of some coils with DVM which is why you no longer find resistance readings for them in most service manuals.

Back in the points days yes
Now in the Hall effect electronic triggers no

This is why they are now called ignition modules and not ignition coils, also why they cost 10 times as much.

I repair engines for a living and have a dozen different in line testers but the one I use most is the simple neon tube with a lead at both ends.
They fit anywhere, you can usually hold them with a cable tie or 2 so you can see them easily while on the mower.
In the shop if the engine has failed the neon tube test I put a better one on, either a Briggs 3 point or a variable gap but neither of these are suitable for using while you are mowing.
Bert,,can you post an ebay or amazon link for a decent tester..Id like to add one to my arsenal?
Thanks!

Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The ones I use that might be available to you are
Stens # 752-329 neon tube
Stens # 210-030 adjustable gap
Genuine B & S 3 point

The others are local Aust made products from Gripskies so will not be available in the USA.
And some I made myself.
Most of the tools on evilbay are junk, bought from China of 20 ¢ sold to you for $ 5.00 and last about week.
They LOOK just the same as a good one and that is as far as it goes.

Rivets or Walt or Renylson or Plugger or any of the other local techs would be better versed about what s availably locally that is worth buying

577jersey

Threads
Thank you Bert!!
I found the stens tube for $17 USD free shipping.
Really appreciate it from USA!!! lol