Pro Z 154S Power Problems

emaninpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
All,

I have a 5 year old Pro Z 154S that I have used to mow to my 5-6 acres each summer season. Rather hilly yard with some fields I do cut with the mower. I am at 175 hours. This spring, while mowing, I am losing power trying to go up slopes where I have never had issue before. The mower will stop moving forward. If I take my foot off of the gas abit, the mower will get up the slope slowly. The problem persists even after I remove the deck and the drive belt is off the motor so it is not sticks or a gummed up belt.

Looking around online and on the forum I am wondering if changing the oil in both Hydro Gear motors (ZT-3400) would be worth a shot. I have done all the scheduled maintenance on the mower myself, (annual oil, blade, filter, and plug changes) but did not know that the oil in the Hydro-Gear motors could be serviced so that has never been done before.

Any advice on whether my issue could be as simple as old oil that needs replacing vs. a more serious issue with the Hydro-Gear motors would be appreciated. Hoping someone with more experience can point me in the right direction. The mower is out of warranty and I am game to try anything to avoid expensive repairs.

Thanks all!

-emaninpa

emaninpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just in case anyone is having the same issues I did resolve this. After further investigation I found a recommendation from Hydro Gear to change the oil in the hydro motors after 100 hours and again every 400 hours after. I purchased a kit and changed out the oil and the filters on both motors. From performing the oil change which did resolve the issue I believe that I was low on oil in one or both motors and this was causing a loss of power. After the oil change the mower is running like new and is having no issues with my hilly yard.