Pressure Washer with Honda Engine Surges

AdamE

Threads
Hey all.

I've got a pressure washer that surges majorly with no load. Once I pull the trigger, it's fine.

It's got a GCV190 N5AV NH1.

Is this possibly normal? If not, any ideas?

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Idle circuit in the carb is plugged. You can try giving the carb a good cleaning, but at the cost of today’s Honda carbs it might be cheaper to replace the carb. Pressure washers normally sit for long periods between use, so future solution is to never allow old fuel to sit in the carb for longer than 30 days.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it's been doing this since new, I think it's the pressure relief valve bypassing when it's not spraying.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey all.

I've got a pressure washer that surges majorly with no load. Once I pull the trigger, it's fine.

It's got a GCV190 N5AV NH1.

Is this possibly normal? If not, any ideas?

Thanks!
2 ways to interperate that, imo. I would say the pump is under load when you are not pulling the trigger.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine actually works a lot harder when the trigger is pulled. At least mine does.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Very True, been too long since I used mine..

AdamE

Threads
If it's been doing this since new, I think it's the pressure relief valve bypassing when it's not spraying.
It has been doing this since new (it was a refurb). Do you mean the unloader valve? I replaced it last year for other reasons and just checked it again. It seems to be moving freely. There's never been any change.

Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ll say it again carb needs a good cleaning or replacing.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Filthy carb. Clean or replace with OEM carb.

slomo

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has been doing this since new (it was a refurb). Do you mean the unloader valve? I replaced it last year for other reasons and just checked it again. It seems to be moving freely. There's never been any change.

Thanks.
Pressure washers must have a way of bleeding off pressure when the engine is running but the wand isn't spraying. It will depend upon the pressure difference between 'closed' and 'open' on the bypass valve how much the engine surges. It's not hurting anything; mine has been that way since new.