Pop-Up Ads

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I understand that in order to "stay in business" the Lawn Mower Forum "must" have the income of sponsors and allow them to have pop-up ads. However, after over 40 years in a career of Information Systems, I can recommend that all users be very careful of what you click on. Knowing how servers can easily be "compromised", regardless of the level of security, I would warn anyone about clicking on anything that looks the least bit suspicious. One that continually catches my attention is the "You Need To Update Your Flash Player" ad. It "appears" to prepare an update download and then states "Your download is redy"........yeah, notice the spelling of ready. Flash Player is an Adobe product and should ONLY be updated via your PC's "official" Adobe Updater if you have any Adobe products installed(as most Windows-based computers do). I know most users are savvy enough to be careful, but thought I would start a thread to point out the potential dangers(like malware) of getting "click happy" regarding pop-up ads. Anyone agree.....or disagree???

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
One more benefit if using the iPhone app.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Yeah I've seen a few times on LMF and other sites: NO JOKE YOU JUST WON $100,000 THIS IS NOT A SCAM CLICK HERE!!! So many people fall for that they wont get any money they will give them there card numbers and they will go bankrupt.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah I've seen a few times on LMF and other sites: NO JOKE YOU JUST WON $100,000 THIS IS NOT A SCAM CLICK HERE!!! So many people fall for that they wont get any money they will give them there card numbers and they will go bankrupt.

Yep, I've always heard that there's a sucker born every minute. If it sounds too good to be true......it's too good to be true:0)

gfp55

Threads
I understand that in order to "stay in business" the Lawn Mower Forum "must" have the income of sponsors and allow them to have pop-up ads. However, after over 40 years in a career of Information Systems, I can recommend that all users be very careful of what you click on. Knowing how servers can easily be "compromised", regardless of the level of security, I would warn anyone about clicking on anything that looks the least bit suspicious. One that continually catches my attention is the "You Need To Update Your Flash Player" ad. It "appears" to prepare an update download and then states "Your download is redy"........yeah, notice the spelling of ready. Flash Player is an Adobe product and should ONLY be updated via your PC's "official" Adobe Updater if you have any Adobe products installed(as most Windows-based computers do). I know most users are savvy enough to be careful, but thought I would start a thread to point out the potential dangers(like malware) of getting "click happy" regarding pop-up ads. Anyone agree.....or disagree???
I have zero adds popping up, I use Add Blocker and I get zero adds. Norton hardly has to stop anything now. IMHO the best thing.

Av8r

Threads
I have zero adds popping up, I use Add Blocker and I get zero adds. Norton hardly has to stop anything now. IMHO the best thing.

Firefox with add blocker plus for me. Heck, I didn't even know that this site has pop-ups. Also use duckduckgo for my search engine. Keeps prying eyes off of your online activities

gfp55

Threads
Firefox with add blocker plus for me. Heck, I didn't even know that this site has pop-ups. Also use duckduckgo for my search engine. Keeps prying eyes off of your online activities
I like take duckduckgo also for the same reason. Theres adblocker, adblocker pro, (PRO) adblocker plus (ABS)

LazerZLandscaping

Threads

Have the same thing on my computer.

shadeytree

Threads

Download Adblock Plus. Its free and it works. Your computer/browser will work better/faster. Those flash player pops are history since I did this.