Pony 77T whine/transmission?

bigaudiofanatic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good day all, I purchased a troy-bilt pony yesterday for a low price. It does need some love but runs and cuts. Looking it over I say no grease points at all would there be any? Also the tractor seems to have a wine when in gear, was wondering if there was a fill port for the trans to possibly add fluid that may have leaked out if that's the case? I will replace the v belt going all the way back sense in 1,2,3 it sometimes slows down or stops. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

dougand3

Threads
Post the model # - eg: 13AN77TG766. Then can lookup the transaxle model. Also, the transaxle may have a sticker - eg: 618-04240.

bigaudiofanatic

Forum Newbie
Threads
13AN77TG is the exact model. Don't see anything on the trans axle

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First does it whine the same in forward as it does in reverse ?
If yes then the problem is in the axle & Diff assembly which is grease packed and has no fill port .
If no then you have a bad bearing in the vari drive system

Finally, the belts should be replaced as a set

bigaudiofanatic

Forum Newbie
Threads
First does it whine the same in forward as it does in reverse ?
If yes then the problem is in the axle & Diff assembly which is grease packed and has no fill port .
If no then you have a bad bearing in the vari drive system

Finally, the belts should be replaced as a set
Thank you, it only wines in forward, 1,2 usually don't engage 3 sometimes does but seems once the mower is warn it doesn't work anymore. I was thinking about replacing all the belts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The "gears" are not gears but a set variation of the tranny pulley diameters so sounds like you belts need replacing
Check that the sliding member on the double pulley at the back moves easily up & down.
TAKE PHOTOS OF WHERE ALL THE SPRINGS GO BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM OFF .
The whine is most likely in the axle.
To fix that it needs to come out, be cleaned, split then the forward bush replaced or even the F-R sliding gear
On some you can flip them so F is R & R is F to even out the wear.

bigaudiofanatic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, I'll be sure to do this in the fall when I pull the deck off. Is there a belt "kit" with all the belts?

bigaudiofanatic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also which pulley do I want to order? my upper trans belt just snapped.