Picking up acorns

ljames

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have one tree that has dropped a lot of acorns this year. (not sure if this is a sign of a bad winter). I have two Craftsman tractors with 3 bucket baggers: a 2004 GT5000, 48" deck, 3 blades, and a 2008 Craftsman Pro, 46" deck, 2 blades. Both are good at leaves; I discovered the 46" deck if lowered all the way will pick up some of the acorns, mostly it just chops them up. This approach cuts the grass pretty short. I also have a lawn sweeper that I bought to pick up small twigs; that didn't work too well, because the brushes didn't seem to be stiff enough; I think it wouldn't work on the acorns for the same reason. I am thinking of buying a used lawn vac (not the towed type) to handle this problem. Does anybody have any experience with this problem and can you recommend a machine before I spend money on something that doesn't work? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Threads
I have one tree that has dropped a lot of acorns this year. (not sure if this is a sign of a bad winter). I have two Craftsman tractors with 3 bucket baggers: a 2004 GT5000, 48" deck, 3 blades, and a 2008 Craftsman Pro, 46" deck, 2 blades. Both are good at leaves; I discovered the 46" deck if lowered all the way will pick up some of the acorns, mostly it just chops them up. This approach cuts the grass pretty short. I also have a lawn sweeper that I bought to pick up small twigs; that didn't work too well, because the brushes didn't seem to be stiff enough; I think it wouldn't work on the acorns for the same reason. I am thinking of buying a used lawn vac (not the towed type) to handle this problem. Does anybody have any experience with this problem and can you recommend a machine before I spend money on something that doesn't work? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I don't have any experience with this problem, but I'll show you a link to get you started. These nut gatherers are supposed to do the job, and it's a cheaper solution for you. If it ends up not working, it's not as pricey as a lawn sweeper. Garden Weasel® Large Nut Gatherer (95306) - Specialty Tools - Ace Hardware

pACE3-9288697enh-z6.jpg

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just mulch them with the leaves.
Most times I only see the shells. Lots of squirrels here.