Overheating terminal cables after changing solenoid

rwgiesel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a MTD 13AF608G062 yard machine that when I turned the key, there were no dash lights coming up or click. So I first replaced the ignition switch (925-1741). Then when I turned the key, I got a minor light that came on the dash, so that was progress.

The next thing to replace was the solenoid, so I ordered a new one (925-1426A). I got to the old one beneath the seat and disconnected it, but left all wires intact and then methodically disconnected one terminal wire from the old one and moved to the new one (#1 in diagram). Then the same for the other terminal (#2) and for the clip (#3). There was also a green wire connected between the bolt and the solenoid, so I left that. (see attachment)

I then put the battery holder back in, reconnected the battery, and turned the key. I heard one click and then nothing so I stepped off of the tractor and saw a large amount of white smoke coming from beneath the seat so I flipped it up.

Both of the cables had suddenly gotten super hot; enough to start melting the wire casings around them.

Later I checked the battery with a multi-meter and it seems fine.

I just don't understand what I could have done wrong because I was very methodical and didn't look like any wire was exposed before trying to start the tractor again.

I connected the terminal wires exactly as they were on the original and there doesn't seem to be any indicator as to which wire should connect to which terminal. I also looked and the ground wire is still grounded.

Any thoughts on how/why this would happen?

Attachments

• Issue replacing solenoid on MTD Yard Machine model 13AF608G062.pdf
    407.5 KB · Views: 10

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Willing to bet you have install the wrong key switch. They may look identical, but you must check the labeling on each spade.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check for reverse bat cable hookup as in positive to ground. Can happen.

rwgiesel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Willing to bet you have install the wrong key switch. They may look identical, but you must check the labeling on each spade.
When you say 'wrong key switch', do you mean the ignition switch? The one I installed was ordered off of Sears Direct site and was the result of searching for ignition switch for my model number.

rwgiesel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Lawn Pro and Lawn Addict for your responses.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wouldn’t be the first time someone got the wrong switch. You have to check the back of the switch.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Either the key switch like Rivets said, or cables hooked up incorrectly... 725-1741 superceded to 925-1741
full.png
full.png

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You had a dead short between the battery positive and negative cables through the start relay. The wire to the starter looks fine so the current wasn't flowing through it. Wrong ignition switch can't cause that wire damage like that.