Only runs for a few seconds

RoySC

Forum Newbie
Threads
B&S 6 HP push mower. I only can get it to start with starting fluid. It'll run for a few seconds then die. I've taken the carb off and cleaned with carb cleaner....still no luck. Would a weak ingnition spark cause similar symtoms? If so, any suggestions on futher testing to pin point my problem. Thanks and have a great day!:smile:

jimbo64

Threads
B&S 6 HP push mower. I only can get it to start with starting fluid. It'll run for a few seconds then die. I've taken the carb off and cleaned with carb cleaner....still no luck. Would a weak ingnition spark cause similar symtoms? If so, any suggestions on futher testing to pin point my problem. Thanks and have a great day!:smile:

did you remove carb jets and clean out, is gas bad, spark is always a concern, try new plug, just replaced a bad magneto in a toro-----------let us know what you find----------has it set for a long time

DanG

Forum Newbie
Threads

If it starts with fluid or fuel, you still have a carburetor problem. I suggest you do NOT have all the passages clean. You should be able to squirt and see carb cleaner through every opening in the carburetor. Also check for good vacuum seal between carburetor and block.

If you are deep enough to remove the carburetor ( I assume you are not attempting to clean a carb on the block ) pull the flywheel to replace/check the key, clean rust off flywheel and magneto, and reset the magneto gap. This way you know yor are set for the season. Change the oill and sharpen the blade while you're at it.

jspwrplc

Threads
It definetly sounds like the carb is the issue, using starting fluid is not a good idea since it is violent and will cause engine damage. I like to use gum cutter or regular gas in a squirt can. If the engine has a primer bulb you can remove the air filter and look down the throat of the carb and push the primer and see if fuel is being injected up through the tube, if it isnt then make sure there are no abstructions from the tank to the carb, as well as the bowl nut needs to be open and clean it has holes in it. Make sure the float is sitting level as well, I have seen ethanol damage seats and teflon tipped needles, They will swell and block fuel flow as well.

indypower

Threads
Carb is still dirty. You need to soak the carb in a carb cleaniong solution. Spray carb cleaner will NOT work. If this is a float type carb, also soak the main jet. Then reinse off parts in water and blow out EVERY HOLE with compressed air.