Oil Change, hydraulic pump

Nishka

Threads
Hi, thank you in advance for your help.

For starters, the Scag Turf Tiger 61" 35 Briggs air cooled is a beast. I only have 144 hours on it. I've changed the oil on all of my small engine equipment. I know how to do this job.

First, very difficult to reach the drain plug/valve that is parked on engine block behind the right hydraulic pump. Found a way to get at it.

Next, it wasn't a plug. It is some sort of valve assembly that did not have the hose attached. No problem. I found a way to turn the square nut to the left hoping the oil would drain. Nothing but drips. Very perplexed. Found it was clogged with debris. Changed oil, changed filter and tightened the valve nut. Starts leaking. All of the oil drains out.

Dealer doesn't have the drain plug/valve...so I buy a replacement from Napaa hoping it will fit.

But, now I have to take the drain plug/valve off. There is no way to reach it.

I then try to take the hydro pump off so I can reach the drain valve. The bolt heads for the hydro pump are behind the right clutch pulley. There is no way to take the pump off without taking the pulley off. I don't know how to take the pulley off.

All of this to drain and fill the oil! Please help me. This is driving me nuts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start with the full engine number off the valve cover so we can look up the parts book & try to work out what exactly you have done.
The drain plug is usually under the dip stick tube next to the starter motor on the verticals & in the middle of the mounting flange front & back on the horozontals.

Nishka

Threads
Thanks....here is the information that I have:

Scag Model # STT61V-35BVAC
Serial # K2201161
Add this number when ordering parts
791244 61HS

Engine Model Number: 613477-2186-G1

There are two engine plugs. Left side plug is under the starter (perspective is from sitting in the front seat looking forward)...can't reach this one. The other plug is under the oil filter on the right side. This plug juts out from the engine block and has a square valve/nut on the top. Directly in line with it...on the bottom...is a flange type outlet that could be fitted with a plastic tube. Tube was gone when I bought it. One is supposed to be able to turn the square valve/nut to drain the oil. As I said, when I tightened it, oil started to drip and all of the oil drained out. I can see that a o-ring is broken So...the valve/drain plug is bad...I have to replace it, or at least the o-ring. Either way, I have to take the drain plug/valve out.

Having said that, I am just so frustrated that the manuals don't explain how to get to anything...I decided to take off the right side hydraulic pump to get to the drain plug, but the through bolts for the pump mounts are directly behind a pulley in the clutch belt drive loop. So, to get to those bolts, I have to take off the pulley....that just seems to damn difficult for a stupid oil drain plug! But, if I have to take off the pulley, then is there a simple way to take it off? I looked at it and it doesn't seem to be simple. Two bolt heads stick out; but, if you put a wrench on those heads, the pulley just spins...can't see any way to lock the pully in place so I can undo it.

I've been using John Deere 425s and a 455 with a 60" deck. They are great; but, the Scag is an absolute beast with power, agility, and mowing speed. Yet, so far, I cringe every time I have to some simple maintenance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mmurphree

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't think it helps your current situation, but I ordered one of the OEMTOOLS "Manual Fluid Extractors" for less than $90. I went ahead and got the larger size (9.5 liter) so I can also use it on my boat motor. It sucks the oil out the dip stick and is really great, doesn't make a mess at all and seems to get all the oil out.

Luffydog

Threads
The drain that you are talking about takes a 10mm wrench to open it to drain the oil out. If your wanting to pull the pulleys off the pump the to small bolts that hold the hub onto the pulley back them them out and put them in the other two holes slowly turn them and the hub will stay out and push the pulley down. Be careful not to break them off in the hub or have to drill out or replace the hub and bolts. As for looking up the oil drain it is not a Briggs part it is a scag part#. Hope this helps you out.