not charging

johnorlandi

Threads
I have a Agco Allis 918H (symplicity) that I rebuilt the engine 2 years ago and replaced the stator, I also purchased a cheap rectifier on line and not charging, now I purchased a Kohler rectifier and it is still not charging. I have checked the stator and it is putting out 26 AC volts each leg. Where do I go from here, what next to check?

Thanks guys

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check the DC wire from the rectifier to ground ?
Did you check that the rectifier is grounded to the engine or frame ?
Kohler mount the rectifier by the plastic blower housing but the body of the rectifier needs to be ground or the rectifier is open circuit on the DC side and can not recharge the battery.
THe grounds are usually a flat strap which tend to break at the bends .
Whenever one comes in to the workshop I make a pair of ground wires and ground the rectifier each side to the engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kohler charging systems should normally have 28+ VAC on each circult. 26 VAC is too low, indicating bad stator.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That was the problem with my mower. Still had good voltage showing but no current. Ole Tarryl fixes all on Youtube has a good video on this.

johnorlandi

Threads
Kohler charging systems should normally have 28+ VAC on each circult. 26 VAC is too low, indicating bad stator.
I will check the AC voltage again for it is a new Kohler stator thank you

johnorlandi

Threads
Kohler mount the rectifier by the plastic blower housing but the body of the rectifier needs to be ground or the rectifier is open circuit on the DC side and can not recharge the battery.
Whenever one comes in to the workshop I make a pair of ground wires and ground the rectifier each side to the engine.
yse I think I did this all but I will copy your list and go and do it again to be sure thank You

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kohler have most of their service manuals on line for free download .
They have a good electrical testing section

johnorlandi

Threads

bertsmobile 1 I had checked the voltage before and had voltage not what was required so I did like you said and checked again and not putting out. I had a problem with the flywheel once before so I ordered a new Kohler flywheel and a stator I already have the kohler rectifier.

Thanks for the help, this should work

John