No Power issue

Fudog

Forum Newbie
Threads
hit small rock killed power.
30'' R110
model-13AC26JD093 Serial -1E149B20185 DOM- 5/2019
Hit rock, size of golf ball, engine died, no power, turn key NO clicks- nothing !!!
lifted, looked at blade blade is fine, blade turns by hand
pulled inline fuse - good.

how does hitting a rock effect ignition / start up ??

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might want to walk the yard prior to mowing. Look for rocks, dead cats, chains, barb wire and many other foreign items that shouldn't be there. The old timers would do the very same thing. Take a plastic bucket and walk the yard first. They never had this issue.

slomo

Cusser

Threads
I don't know what a 30'' R110, but many mowers will break a sacrificial flywheel key when hitting an object to protect the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably had nothing to do with it
Start by checking the battery leads both ends.

guyina4x4

Threads
There is a switch on the mowing deck at the end of the chute.

Last edited:

Joed756

Threads
Yep, your flywheel key broke, this going to cost you upward of 25 cents to fix.

RickfromNZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
hit small rock killed power.
30'' R110
model-13AC26JD093 Serial -1E149B20185 DOM- 5/2019
Hit rock, size of golf ball, engine died, no power, turn key NO clicks- nothing !!!
lifted, looked at blade blade is fine, blade turns by hand
pulled inline fuse - good.

how does hitting a rock effect ignition / start up ??
For what it's worth, I think Cusser has it dead right.
I had a similar totally unexpected failure on a different two stroke engine and traced it to a sheared woodruff key on the main shaft. The ignition timing is dependent upon that sacrificial key being intact , thus locking the flywheel in it's correct position. I think you will find that the flywheel has sheared the key upon impact with the rock and the flywheel has slipped enough to throw the iginition timing way off which will not allow the engine to fire up. The fact that when you looked, it all seemed normal and you could rotate the engine by turning the blade has mislead you into thinking that everything downstairs is normal. My hunch is that it not normal at all. The flywheel will need to be extracted and a new key fitted. After fitting a new key, check the ignition timing is correctly adjusted and your engine should then start.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So the rock was the size of a golf ball. How big prior to the blade smack? Cinder block size? Softball?

I agree with the others. Remove flywheel and key. Install a new key. Could of done this much faster than waiting for replies on here. Meaning it's any easy task requiring minimal time to complete.

But what you are saying is it won't crank over. Totally different avenue. Now you are into the battery, switches and wiring. Your mower is dead at the key.

Have your battery load tested. Confirm clean connections at battery and GROUNDS. Verify key on you have 12 volts at the starter solenoid.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is a rear engine riding mower. No hitting small rock will not affect the flywheel key normally as the deck drive belt will absorb nearly all of the shock load. IF the belt didn't we would many more riding mowers with sheared flywheel keys. The operators including myself have and will continue to hit objects while using our mowers. Things like that tree that wsn't exposed as much last time you mowed or like the stump I accidently ran over last year, or that child's toy left in the high grass. I just barely missed a huge racket tie down laying in my ditch Monday.

Now with MTD not providing a wiring schematic I can only guess at the problem but first make sure you have turned the PTO (deck engagement) off. From there check for any wiring connector that might have gotten unplugged. With no clicks which on this mower the only thing that would click is the starter solenoid as the 21R707-0145 engine does not have an after fire solenoid on the carburetor. Basically you will checking the battery voltage and for voltage at the B terminal of the ignition switch to make at power is getting to the ignition switch then you check the S terminal for voltage in the start position. From there you would need to trace back through the safety switches.

guyina4x4

Threads
Switch on mower deck at discharge opening.
It can look ok but not be made.