Nikki Carb welch plug issue.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can post engine & carb numbers if I need to. But this carb, the Nikki's with the spiderwed gasket, I removed the outside welch plug. But the kit's replacement, is .36. The hole for it is .35. Shouldn't the plug be .34, giving it a little room to go in then spread out?

What am I missing here? I'm putting the dome side out, so it'll spread out.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Plug is just slightly oversized to be a press fit. I like to put a small dab of 3 bond on it when i press welch plugs in. I don't hammer them i use my drill press. I chuck the appropriate size drill in backwards and use it to press the plug in.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Plug is just slightly oversized to be a press fit. I like to put a small dab of 3 bond on it when i press welch plugs in. I don't hammer them i use my drill press. I chuck the appropriate size drill in backwards and use it to press the plug in.

I don't have any of those space shuttle special fit aerodynamic tools. So I tried using a socket that was just a little smaller. Some of the plug went in. But one side didn't. I have one plug left.

On a side note: I had a spare carb already cleaned, so I just rebuilt that one. And it works fine, except for when I choke it, it doesn't act choked. But that's for a different thread.

I can see why there's not much talk of welch plugs. From now on, I'll avoid them like the plague. (or corona virus)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is very rare that you need to remove a welch plug from these carbs, or any carb for that matter.
Probably do it 1 or 2 times a sesaon & then only on a carb from an engine that has been laid up for a long time so are very very gumed up.
OTOH when I did, the aftermarket kits I used were wrong & had to get sent back to the wholesaler they replaced them with original ones at no extra cost with the rep admitting that they had bough in a bad batch.
Good news was they sent them to a disabled workshop to be converted to a gasket ( well O ring ) only kit which was good & I bought 20 of them .
Also note there are 2 variations ( at least ) of this carb with 2 different white jet plates & subsequently 2 different gasket sets.
Don't know if the welch plugs are different .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You got the wrong one. Mine makes coffee and cappuccino.

Now that's a USC.

Mine just makes clean carburetors.

I can see why the plug doesn't need to be smaller than the hole, otherwise, unless the hole was tapered, it would just fall to the bottom. Maybe I didn't get it centered before I started trying to push it in. A little lube might do the trick.