New to John Deere, picked up a 111, and need a little help from the experts

jimbob200521

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New to John Deere, picked up a 111, and need a little help from the experts
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums although I've lurked around them for a bit, reading and learning what I could.

Anywho, I recently picked up my first riding mower, an 80's John Deere 111H for $150 that was owned by a well off gentleman locally that kept it at his summer home, so it didn't see much use he said. Fully equipped with a flat rear tire and bad spindle bearing on one of the deck pulleys, I figured $60 in parts and an afternoons work and I'd be set for a while. After a new tire was put on and the spindle bearings were replaced, I was off. I did all the usual stuff I do to a new motor in my garage; changed the oil, spark plug (which, btw, the one I pulled out looked as clean as a brand new one so I stuck it back in), and gave her a once over. The next day, I mowed the yard, trouble free except when I stopped and turned the deck off to move a branch. I got back on, flipped the switch and nothing until about a minute later, then the deck fired back up. Figuring it was a fluke, I cleaned all the easily accessible electrical connections the next day. Fast forward a couple days and she won't start; dead battery. I was told the battery was about a year old when I bought it so I pulled out the multi meter and it read 12.xx volts. Cranked it and it dropped to almost nothing. Seeing as I had seen a new mower battery on Craigslist only a day before, I went and picked up a (new) used battery, had it tested at O'Reilly's and installed it. Tractor started up. Put the multimeter on the posts and am reading 12.49 volts which means she's not charging. I pulled everything apart and took a few pictures, posted below.

One thing I neglected to mention is the guy apparently lost the key, so his son (or some shade tree mechanic) "fixed" the issue by replacing the need for a key with a push button switch to start the tractor so he must have bypassed a few things.

So finally to my point; I want to make sure everything that is on the tractor is wired up correctly before I invest in a new starter. Anything else I should check? Or anything else I can do before purchasing a new starter?

20130518_200503.jpg

20130518_200516.jpg

20130518_200544.jpg

^^^^^^Are those posts supposed to be shorted out like that?

If there's any pictures anyone wants, let me know. Otherwise, thank you for reading this and for any help anyone can offer, I appreciated it in advance!!

PS - be kind, I know she's dirty, I haven't gotten to the cleaning stage yet haha

jimbob200521

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, after a day of tinkering and a more in depth electrical cleaning, things are a little better.

I removed the wire that I pointed out above and cleaned every connection I could get my hands on. The battery now, after running at operating speed, will get up to about 13.6-13.7 volts. If I engage the PTO, that drops to about 12.6 or so.

So, does anyone have any idea what else I could try? This is killing me!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums....

CLEAN all those electrical connections and then apply Dielectric grease (Silicone Grease)...
In one of your pictures you show a jumper wire shunting a 25 amp circuit breaker, remove that and see that it is working.
That will prevent future damage.
Make sure your charging system is working, sounds like you understand how to verify that.
I would replace the key switch, With the run wiring circuit actually switched through it.
Last, you mention your 'thinking' of buying a New Starter? It sounds as if the starter is working... Don't replace working components... :smile:KennyV

jimbob200521

Forum Newbie
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums....

CLEAN all those electrical connections and then apply Dielectric grease (Silicone Grease)...
In one of your pictures you show a jumper wire shunting a 25 amp circuit breaker, remove that and see that it is working.
That will prevent future damage.
Make sure your charging system is working, sounds like you understand how to verify that.
I would replace the key switch, With the run wiring circuit actually switched through it.
Last, you mention your 'thinking' of buying a New Starter? It sounds as if the starter is working... Don't replace working components... :smile:KennyV

Well I did remove the shunt and the system, when left at operating speed, will now get up to 13.6-13.7 volts, but when I kick the PTO on, it will drop to about 12.6 volts.

Aside from what I've been doing, what's the best way to check that my charging system is working?

I'd like to get a new key switch, I think they're about $15 online at various sites. And I was thinking of getting a new starter, but that's when I was misunderstanding the electrical system on these machines thinking that the starter also charged the battery. Now I guess I've got to figure out if the stator is working? Like I said, I'm new to John Deere and small mowers so I may need a little Mower 101 on this :p

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Measure the current the clutch is drawing... it my be near the total output of the alternator... check the voltage regulator for shorted diodes.
Insure both ends of Both battery cables are clean & tight, use dielectric grease at all connections... :smile:KennyV

jimbob200521

Forum Newbie
Threads
Measure the current the clutch is drawing... it my be near the total output of the alternator... check the voltage regulator for shorted diodes.
Insure both ends of Both battery cables are clean & tight, use dielectric grease at all connections... :smile:KennyV

What wires am I tapping into to measure the draw of the clutch, guessing on the back of the switch? And call me stupid, but where might I find the voltage regular?

As for connections on both ends of both battery cables (and every connection under the batter, including the solenoid) is clean and good.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can measure the current at the clutch plug...
I believe you have an 11 hp Briggs in that... It may have a pair of diodes doing the rectification and voltage regulation, check that those diodes are both good...As I recall that engine only puts out around 5 amps at 14 volts... and the pto clutch will use Most of that... :smile:KennyV

jimbob200521

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can measure the current at the clutch plug...
I believe you have an 11 hp Briggs in that... It may have a pair of diodes doing the rectification and voltage regulation, check that those diodes are both good...As I recall that engine only puts out around 5 amps at 14 volts... and the pto clutch will use Most of that... :smile:KennyV

Ok, where/how do I test the diodes at on this machine?