New Carburetor Adjustment

Pedalman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Lawn Tractor is from 2004, I bought it used last year. Put way too much money in it in less than 1 years use. This issue was the dreaded surging (hunting, for what I don't know) issue. Tried for several hours to clean the dreaded Nikki carb that was on it, no use. I bought a new Briggs carb for this 17.5 intek single cylinder engine, it appears to be a Ruixing #594593. The question I have is this, Other than the idle screw adjustment is there any other adjustment that can be done on this carb, specifically is the brass screw in the red circle on these two photos an adjustment screw or a jet? I have tried to find this info out to no avail. I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_180926600.jpg
    IMG_20210722_180926600.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210722_180943143.jpg
    IMG_20210722_180943143.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 27

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the idle jet
It should be done up tight .

Pedalman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. I didn't want to touch it until I knew if it was adjustable or not

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I kinda wish people would stop bad mouthing the Nikki carburetor. I have work on them for years. They are one the easiest carburetors to clean. Most problems are ones that get introduced by techs that don't understand them. Yes that lean burn issue is in some of them but why they have removable main jets so the tech can resize as needed. Yes the fuel transfer tube gasket can be a problem if you don't inspect it before installing for bad places. Jet o-rings do get loose causing surging. But the main culprit is setting the idle speed too low and the governor simply closes the throttle too much cutting off the fuel supply.

All carburetors have their problems but when you know what you are doing most problems are resolvable. But it does takes a good mechanic and not a fly by night mechanic (part replacers and guessers) to resolve these problems. I had one that spend over $300 trying to fix his mower to only bring it to my shop where I found it was only a $0.50 wire terminal that was bad. He was just replacing hopiing to hit upon the problem.

And considering the OP mower is 17yrs old what does he expect a new mower that don't need multiple repairs. Heck most operators and owners never do to anything to mowers other than abuse them until they refuse to move or run. I just finishing up on a Hustler Fastrak that has been abused. The owner even she knew it was leaking lots of oil, she ran it until it locked up. Now they are complaining it is cost $900 just to get running again. Even with the repairs it will have a short life for the next repair will be a new engine which probably will not get. They have bent numerous metal frame and deck parts hitting objects.

Pedalman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I kinda wish people would stop bad mouthing the Nikki carburetor. I have work on them for years. They are one the easiest carburetors to clean. Most problems are ones that get introduced by techs that don't understand them. Yes that lean burn issue is in some of them but why they have removable main jets so the tech can resize as needed. Yes the fuel transfer tube gasket can be a problem if you don't inspect it before installing for bad places. Jet o-rings do get loose causing surging. But the main culprit is setting the idle speed too low and the governor simply closes the throttle too much cutting off the fuel supply.

All carburetors have their problems but when you know what you are doing most problems are resolvable. But it does takes a good mechanic and not a fly by night mechanic (part replacers and guessers) to resolve these problems. I had one that spend over $300 trying to fix his mower to only bring it to my shop where I found it was only a $0.50 wire terminal that was bad. He was just replacing hopiing to hit upon the problem.

And considering the OP mower is 17yrs old what does he expect a new mower that don't need multiple repairs. Heck most operators and owners never do to anything to mowers other than abuse them until they refuse to move or run. I just finishing up on a Hustler Fastrak that has been abused. The owner even she knew it was leaking lots of oil, she ran it until it locked up. Now they are complaining it is cost $900 just to get running again. Even with the repairs it will have a short life for the next repair will be a new engine which probably will not get. They have bent numerous metal frame and deck parts hitting objects.
I bought it from a dealer thinking that it would be in good working order, it had several problems. It had no working brake, valves were out of adjustment causing serious starting problems, fuel solenoid failed, starter solenoid failed, deck drive belt was falling off due to missing belt guards. I realize that mower is old and repairs are to be expected but it seemed a little much for a 4 month period. Next time I would probably buy a new one on a 3 year payment plan.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Some shops are the worst about selling things not up to par. I have a customer that brought a used Craftsman 46 cut. He initially was it had a Kohler engine on it. Apparently he never raised the hood as the Briggs label would set off alarms right away. Well the mower was delivered. It was surging like crazy. When the deck was engine there was bearing noise and it shook a lot. Well he had to come and check it out. He had to send it back for carburetor and deck work. Well he got it back running even worst. He then have me to repair it. The clone carburetor that shop stuck on it was the engine surging problem (repair it by resizing idle mixture jet). The deck had a bad idler pulley and bent blades. Quite obvious if someone had actually looked at it. He paid $850 for a broken mower and spent another $250 with me straightening it out.

I had other shops sold equipment to come in too that were just patched or rigged just so they could sell them. I am quite ashame of my fellow shop owners for allowing this to happen on their watch.

Pedalman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Some shops are the worst about selling things not up to par. I have a customer that brought a used Craftsman 46 cut. He initially was it had a Kohler engine on it. Apparently he never raised the hood as the Briggs label would set off alarms right away. Well the mower was delivered. It was surging like crazy. When the deck was engine there was bearing noise and it shook a lot. Well he had to come and check it out. He had to send it back for carburetor and deck work. Well he got it back running even worst. He then have me to repair it. The clone carburetor that shop stuck on it was the engine surging problem (repair it by resizing idle mixture jet). The deck had a bad idler pulley and bent blades. Quite obvious if someone had actually looked at it. He paid $850 for a broken mower and spent another $250 with me straightening it out.

I had other shops sold equipment to come in too that were just patched or rigged just so they could sell them. I am quite ashame of my fellow shop owners for allowing this to happen on their watch.
I guess it's true, buyer beware