Need Tips For Leaf Removal With Riding Lawnmower

Camaron32

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just thought I'd ask for tips in mowing up the leaves in my yard with my JD LA165. I have a bagging system. Last year the chute kept clogging up before I could get a decent amount of leaves in the hopper. It was a PITA to stop everything to clean it out. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

deminin

Threads
I have a mulching "plate" for my Husqvarna riding mower, and I just slip that on, and take a nice ride around the yard. That grinds the leaves up nicely, and ads some "nutrients" to the soil for next years lawn. We live in a dense forest full of Oak, Walnut and Hickory trees, and if leaves had any commercial value, I'd be filthy rich. This time of year, I blow the leaves away from the house, then grind them up with the mower....about once a week, until the trees get bare by late Nov./early Dec.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Buy you a mulching cover and mulching blades. Then, have at it.

enigma-2

Threads
Use high lift blades and move forward very slowly. It's all about airflow.

Gord Baker

Threads
Make sure the leaves are very dry before you start.

GEARHEAD3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Chop up the leaves with the bagger off and then bag. You’ll only take off about half. I think it makes a cleaner job than mulching

longhike

Threads
I have an older Toro/MTD not a JD but I found that as the leaves fill up the bags the air flow is restricted. In my case cutting a 3”round hole in the side of the bagger opposite the intake chute helped.

You can test if this is the problem by driving it around without the bags. If it doesn’t clog then you might have a similar situation.

btw, I’ve now switched out the 2 bags for one of those gigantic leaf bags, it looks silly to be dragging an 8 foot bag but it saves tons of time going back and forth emptying the small bags.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blow into a pile with a backpack blower. Suck up with a pusher bagger.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fit Gator style blades then do as Gearhead suggested
Cut first without the bagger covering the discharge chute to chop the leaves fine then slip the chute back on & suck up the leaves
Toss them in a bin with a little cow or chicken poo and by spring you will have some super compost , better if kept moist with "lemon fretilizer" .

golfergordy

Threads
I just thought I'd ask for tips in mowing up the leaves in my yard with my JD LA165. I have a bagging system. Last year the chute kept clogging up before I could get a decent amount of leaves in the hopper. It was a PITA to stop everything to clean it out. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.
About 10-yrs ago my son got a JD LA115 and the chute kept clogging up with grass, which was very annoying. Someone on the forum suggest a hi-lift blade, and after installing them the clogging problem thankfully was solved.