Need help on old Bob-Cat WB

Tareece

Threads
Hey guys...Got a Bobcat 32" with a replacement motor on it....The starter cliks and attempts to move the motor but it just doesnt have the oomph to turn it...Attached a battery booster, switched to Start (adding 50amps to 340amp cca brand new battery... same thing click click...
Always started...come rain, come cold..this thing always started.
Im thinking the starter is worn out?
Probably worn windings in the starter?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
No pics of the actual mower... but there are the B&S model and type #'s
its a 28CI vertical shaft with a electric start w/alternator

IMG_20200407_165106197.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
take the plug out and try again.
If the starter spins the engine over fine then the decompressor is not working
ON OHV engines it is generally because the valve lash has gotten too bit or the cam is busted.

Tareece

Threads
ok...pulled plug...starter cliked and seemed to grind a bit in an effort to start motor..but did not turn the motor at all
Ofcourse I should have tried that, as removing the plug eliminates all or most of the compression...making it much easier to turn motor...whatta brainfart!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes big , wide whatever.
OK
next step is to put your palm down on the screen and try to rotate the engine.
If it rotates fairly easily then that points the figner of blame at the starter
If it is difficult to turn than is going to make your wallet lighter.
Slip the belts off the engine & repeat, just in case some thing is jambing then engine pulley.

Tareece

Threads
Hey Bert...no movement at all turning the screen by hand.... sigh.... that mower was a big help, but I can do without for a while...I guess my options are to disassemble, and try to salvage for a rebuild or try to find a motor to try to do the season (found same yr BC on FB mktplace, but it too had bad engine.... but would make a great parts mower for this one--or vice versa..$450)...and then upgrade next year.
IMG_20200327_185053097_HDR.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't give up yet.
IT could be nothing worse than the valve lash widening to the point that the ACR is defeated.
They are simple motors, easy to work on and being a Briggs, cheap to repair ,
So whip off that rocket cover and see what is inside.
Without trying to sold self praising ,the good members of this forum have just walked a mechanical novice through a full engine strip down.

Last edited:

Tareece

Threads
Don't give up yet.
Not in my DNA
IT could be nothing worse than the valve lash widening to the point that the ACR is defeated.
They are simple motors, easy to work on and being a Briggs, cheap to repair ,
So whip off that rocket cover and see what is inside.
Do you wanna see the honey do list from my wife????? lol
Without trying to sold self praising ,the cgood members f this forum have yust walked a mechanical novice through a full engine strip down.
I appreciate ALL the help... not a novice and was a small engine mechanic when these came out new...25-30 years ago.... but alll that crap (even the basic stuff} leaves you if u dont use it...and buddy, in 30 yrs in sales, my feeler gauges kinda got lonely.
heres the last thing I used them on

Attachments

• vert2.JPG
    vert2.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nothing is compulsory.
If you are going to replace the engine, wait till the end of the season when the surplus engine hit the market .
You can ususally get them for around 1/2 retail price.
There might be some factory pulls available, but it is a bit late in the season for them right now.