Need advice on "free" F932 mower

Drb007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, just joined as last night I was given an F932 from my dad. I currently have an F525 with a 48" deck. It has a hard time with some of the thicker areas on my yard. More importantly, I don't have a blower for the F525. And don't know that I would want to try that. But I'm sick of the walk behind blower I have as my drive is too big and my back too sore.
So, my dad got a late 80's F932 from the school he used to work for. It has 1477 hours, but has very few hours after a short block was done a year or two ago. It seems to run great. They had it in for service recently for some transmission issues. The school decided to replace it rather than repair it, so my dad took it. It has 2 blowers (a spare!) and a 60" mower. It has the cab with side and rear curtains, added wiper, lights, and heater (!!).
The issues: the transmission works, but is pretty noisy. According to my dad, it is getting better as it is driven, and it seems to work fine. The dealer had a new young kid working on it, and I am not sure it got a real servicing. So it might be possible that the hydraulics need bleeding or topping off. The hydraulics on the blower all work fine. The PTO only engages occasionally and you have to hold the lever to keep it engaged. I think the magnetic lock and possibly the electric clutch are bad.
It has some rust, duct tape, stuff like that, but cosmetics are easy and unimportant. My concern is: am I tripping over a quarter to pick up a penny here? Is this machine a good idea? Just looking for some advice.

xp14629

Threads
I would start by calling the dealer and getting a cost of what it will take for you to drop it off and get estimates to repair these concerns. We charge a flat 40.00 rate if a customer decides to have us do any of the work. Then I wud voice the concern about the young kid working on it and have an experianced tech check it out. I find it hard to believe there is much wrong with the transmission. That is the same unit used in the 318 and mine has over 2500 hrs on it mowing, tilling, pushing snow, and recently blowing snow. I change the oil and filter every year weather needed or not because I ask more of the tractor than it was made for.

Drb007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Xp14629,
Thank you for the reply. Looking at the machine, I am thinking that the issue might be the brakes. I think they are stuck on...I will check that first. If I can't see anything obvious, I will take it to my dealer. I bought the service manual and I think I know what is wrong with the PTO not staying on. The previous owner disconnected/bypassed the seat safety switch and by doing so shut off the magnet the holds the PTO on.
So, in my dreamworld, I will fix a couple of simple problems and be up and running. In reality, I will muck it up a bit more and THEN drag it to the dealer:)

xp14629

Threads
I can relate to that. The magnet that holds the pto in place is a common failure on those, but do is the relay in the hold in circuit, which is also a lot cheaper than the magnet to start with. Good luck.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you try to 'improve' it's condition and go the other direction... you will gain experience & pick up a bit of information about it on the way...
If you have to put a few $$ into it, thats Okay at this point you have zero into it... so I don't see anyway you can go wrong...
You could end up with a very nice machine... :smile:KennyV

Drb007

Forum Newbie
Threads
From what I can see, even if I end up putting $1000 in it and it still doesn't work I can sell parts enought to break even. I will give it a go!

benski

Threads
From what I can see, even if I end up putting $1000 in it and it still doesn't work I can sell parts enought to break even. I will give it a go!

Heck, ya can't go too wrong. You'll learn a bunch, and probably end up with a pretty nice machine when it's done.:biggrin:

Drb007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I haven't learned much yet. Meaning, I haven't done much to it. It runs like a top. The brakes were stuck on...had to muscle the hand lock and now the transmission works great! I will be working on taking the blower off and mounting the mower deck. Quite a lot of tractor for free!!

JoeM(GA)

Threads
I have a PDF of the tech manual you're welcome to, just shoot me your email

Drb007

Forum Newbie
Threads
I truly appreciate the offer...just wish it had come a few days sooner...:)
I bought one already. It was only $10, so not too bad.
Thanks for the offer.
Dave