Need a little help refurbishing a Honda HRA215 lawn mower. How can I find the right mower deck?

fazio767

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need a little help refurbishing a Honda HRA215 lawn mower. How can I find the right mower deck?
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum! I have an older Honda HRA215 lawn mower from around 1992. The engine is in perfect working condition, but the mower deck is completely rotted out from years and years of lawn fertilizer. Ideally, I would love to keep this engine going, as it still runs like it is brand new. I removed the engine from the old deck, followed the procedures for long term storage, and then took off a few of the pieces I might need (the arms with controls, wheels, axels, etc).

I know that I am going to need a new deck for this mower, but I am just not sure of which one I will need. I see there being three possible options right now.

1. I could buy the original part from a warehouse that sells Honda mower parts in brand new condition on the internet. I can't recall what the cost would be exactly, but I think it was somewhere over $300, which is a little steep.

2. I could buy the original deck from eBay, though it would be in used condition. This would still be a cheaper option than the new part.

3. I could buy another Honda deck (or a deck from a different mower entirely). It *seems* like the Honda bolt pattern is fairly universal, so perhaps I could get another Honda mower deck to serve my purpose. My dad actually has a new Honda mower that seems to be the same exact bolt pattern.

I realized as I was taking the mower apart that it might take a little time to get everything put back together when I do find a new deck. In my ideal world, I would be able to order something that is already put together so I could just drop the engine on the new deck.

Thank you for your help!

jsalis57

Threads
  • / Need a little help refurbishing a Honda HRA215 lawn mower. How can I find the right mower deck?
I have a deck i will be pulling the motor from shortly. PM me if interested.

fazio767

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will do! Thank you for your reply!

jsalis57

Threads
Pics of the deck.

Attachments

• mower deck 1.jpg
    mower deck 1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 11
  • mower deck 2.jpg
    mower deck 2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 10
  • mower deck 3.jpg
    mower deck 3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 10
  • mower deck 4.jpg
    mower deck 4.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 11

jsalis57

Threads
Thread bump. This deck is available if anyone is interested. Ship from Columbus OH. Or local pickup too.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Last edited:

fazio767

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the link! It looks like some of the OEM equipment might be a little bit beyond my budget for this project. Instead of letting the motor sit in storage for too long, I decided to come up with a new strategy for putting it back in service. My neighbor was throwing out an old Craftsman lawn mower with a bad motor. I decided to take it off his hands and install my Honda engine to the Craftsman deck. This repair was completely free, other than the cost of throwing away the bad motor. I will continue to be on the lookout for a used Honda deck in the meantime just to see if one ever becomes available. Considering that my motor fit on the Craftsman deck with no issues or gaps, any Honda deck would probably do (and hopefully that will open up a few options).

fazio767

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is the finished product. I think it looks (and functions) pretty good for now. It’s better to keep this motor going than to let it sit on the floor of my shed.
6296F804-7337-436D-90AE-EA00AF28F359.jpeg6296F804-7337-436D-90AE-EA00AF28F359.jpeg

fazio767

Forum Newbie
Threads
12D1D62C-5B6F-4820-B91B-70FE1A5F83DA.jpeg

jsalis57

Threads
Looks great!