My Regent Hydro 14 won't turn

northside earl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll start by saying this is my first riding mower. I got this thing used last fall. It worked OK. After pulling it out of the garage, it struggled to start. I put a new battery, new solenoid, and new voltage regulator into it. What I noticed today was that its really tough to turn that grill on top of the motor by hand. The starter is clicking and trying to turn it, but it just seems frozen. Anyone got an idea for me to try?

redfish9

Threads
Sounds like a bad starter to me

redfish9

Threads
also take the spark plug out and see if the flywheel will turn easy

northside earl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the spark plug out. it turns freely; well, there's a slight resistance, but definitely not the same as when the spark plug is in. I threw a new spark plug in too, now. Still won't run. What I noticed today was that when I turn that grill plate into a less resistant point, it attempts to turn, but won't turn more than 2 or 3 times and is "stuck" again.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Assuming its a briggs engine fitted i'll guess its a decompressor problem.
Whats the model, type and code?

hotshot

Threads
I would say bad starter or bad battery. A 14 HP will be difficult to turn by hand.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
model 28p777
type 0641-a1
code 97041520

Just looked up parts list and it could be decompressor.

To check if its working-
Remove the spark plug and rocker cover.
When turning engine by hand the valves will go up and down.
The bottom valve (inlet) should go fully down then up then if you watch it should bump back down ever so slightly. Thats the decomp working. If it doesnt go down then it could be broken and you need to replace the cam shaft. The decomp allows excess pressure to escape so engine turns easy.
Check the valve clearances 1st 1/4 past TDC
Clearances are in .003-.005 and ex .005 -.007
Also is there a parasitic load on the engine eg- belt still drive tensioned when it should be off etc?

northside earl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I didn't get to reading this post until today. Last weekend, I removed the spark plug, then turned the key. It spun around repeatedly so I put the plug back in and it started fine! I got my lawn cut before it rained!:big grin: I don't know why that would work. I tried it on a hunch.

Mwh0428

Threads
Sounds like it was half way vapor-locked or something. I just got my 14 hp mounted on a project and need to put a new head gasket on.

Sent from my iPod touch using LMF