Mulch door

Blackbeagle1

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post here guys. I have a 6-7 year old Honda HRX? I think it's a 21" deck. I don't know much about the exact model. But it has a round green knob in the back that closes/open the door inside the deck for mulching or bagging. Well this has been my biggest problem with this lawn mower. The last few years, I can't get the thing to close. I move the handle all the way close and it doesn't close. Within a few minutes, it's fully open and therefore the bag becomes full and heavy. If I simply remove the bag and let the bag cover shut, it simply cuts the grass and leaves hunks of cut grass on the lawn. I had a repair shop fixed it last year and within a few months, it went bad again. So I'm going to spend another $120 or so to fix it again. What can I do about this? Is this a common issue? Most of the time, I do mulch, except when the grass is super long and wet, which I will then bag.

Thanks

KCKiwi

Forum Newbie
Threads

jimmys

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same condition with mine. Been that way since day one

Blackbeagle1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I decided enough was enough. I'm sick and tired of repairing this same issue over and over. Over the weekend, I bit the bullet on a new 21" Ego Selfpropelled Select Cut lawn mower. So far, it's so much better. It's lighter, it's quieter, and it's easier to operate than the Honda. Once the Honda is repaired, I will sell it.

izzbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone else have this issue. I have the same issue with a \model HRR216VKA. Not exact same door system but close. This just started it's 3rd summer (live in MN) but the play in the door seems to be increasing. I've would order new parts but I can't see an wearing or how to fix when I dissemble so maybe this was happening from the start of ownsership but I sure don't remember grass coming out the back after a my first turn in my front yard. It eventually clogs with grass but then that gets so thick I don't remember ever cleaning that off before after the mow. If I put the bagger on back problem solved but then I am bagging as the bag gets full after cutting the lawn and I don't want to deal with clopping's which is why I bought a mulcher.

Also a side note ... not too impressed with my Honda's mulching … if it's even a bit too long (as it's been getting worse each year even though I sharpen the blade each year and even bough a new one to compare) there are clippings out the right side I believe. I've had to use the leaf blower on the lawn a few times b/c there was just too much. My neighbor's Toro does much better and he cuts the lawn at the same rate as me and i don't see those tracks. The only time I see those is on my other's neighbor's lawn where hey have a side discharge shoot. I'm cleaning the deck completely at the end of the year to see if this is the issue but if this continues maybe a Toro powered by Honda?

olgeezershonda

Threads
I for one haven't had that issue. I bought the HRX because I wanted a good mulching mower. My old Honda is a rear bagger only. I don't know how well this new one bags as it has never been mounted. One thing for sure is if you want to mulch you need to mow more frequently so the clippings are fine enough to fall to the bottom of the lawn rather than lay on top. If you let the lawn grow too high between mowings yes you'll have a problem. Frequency was mentioned in many articles pertaining to mulching so I knew what I was getting into before I bought the mower.

As for the issue the you or the OP had I haven't experienced that. My dad had a Toro but I didn't find it to be any better or worse.