Muffler Smokes

primerbulb120

Threads
I have a Craftsman 25cc blower. When I run this blower at full throttle for 30 seconds and then turn it off, hot white smoke pours off and out of the muffler for about 10 seconds. The smoke rises off the metal of the muffler and some comes out the exhaust hole. When I remove the spark arrestor, there is less smoke but the problem is still there. When I remove the muffler altogether, there is no smoke. Could there be oil in the muffler that is being heated by the exhaust? When I take the muffler off, I notice that the exhaust port is oily. I have had several machines do this in the past and am looking for an explanation.
I have five questions:

1. What causes the problem?
2. What should I do to stop it?
3. Will the problem go away if I simply continue to use the blower?
4. Is it safe to use the blower while the problem persists?
5. While the problem persists, is there any risk of the blower catching on fire while I am using it or after I have shut it down?

I want to blow off my driveway, but I am afraid to use my blower for fear it will catch on fire in the process.

Thanks!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Running a wee bit to much 2 cycle oil I would think.

primerbulb120

Threads
I soaked the muffler in mineral spirits in an attempt to dissolve the oil, but the problem still persists. Should I keep using the blower to burn all the oil out, or is it too dangerous?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As said, your oil/fuel mixture is too rich.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are using the poulan craftsman oil, I have seen cases where the oil will drip out of the muffler. and not burn correctly.

primerbulb120

Threads
I use the Echo PowerBlend oil. I will try to mix the fuel leaner.

Lawn Addict
Threads
when is last time you cleaned or replaced the air filter ? If it is dirty the engine will run too rich, & can cause it to smoke, if clean, then agree with the others too much oil in mix.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
when is last time you cleaned or replaced the air filter ? If it is dirty the engine will run too rich, & can cause it to smoke, if clean, then agree with the others too much oil in mix.

Good point Here air filters are cheap just replace it anyway and double check amount of oil being used