Mtd tiller only start while holding governor

Silverhawk184

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a mtd tiller that I am trying to get started. I last ran it a few years ago. I bought a new carb, correct model number, fuel filter, hose, gaskets, etc and it still will not run. I am using a drill to start it and it fires up if I press the governor arm all the way over. Springs and everything look fine. Once it is running it has no power and dies when I engage the tines while in the air. I don't see too many adjustments and am at a loss as to what could be the issue. Maybe the gaskets are in the wrong order, but I've tried arranging them differently. I also bypassed the filter and tank to make sure it wasn't a fuel delivery issue.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Lets be sure we're on the same page for terminology here. I have circled the Throttle and Governor link that goes to the governor arm in RED, and the Choke and choke plate in orange.
which one are you moving?
if you're moving the choke to fully closed, and when you take it off, it dies, it is running too lean, due to a air leak, or blockage in the carburetor. That doesn't appear to be a OEM honda carb, i've had trouble with Aftermarket honda carbs on my personal equipment one time, where it said, "Fits gx270, gx340,GX390" etc, it ran too lean.. mostly because i think it was made for the smaller gx270 and the jets weren't big enough to supply proper fuel to the 13HP GX390.
Post up the engine model number too.
carb1.png