mtd/lawnflite transaxle won't move forward when bolts tightened!!!!!

g-mack

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / mtd/lawnflite transaxle won't move forward when bolts tightened!!!!!
hey there,
Ive got a really strange problem. I inherited a lawnflite 704 (MTD) which would not drive forwards. in fact the wheels locked even when you try to push it. reverse is fine!
i removed the transaxle to have a look and discovered when the bolts out (of the casing) i can turn both axles in
forward motion easily. as soon as I tighten down the bolts it locks up, so i cant turn the axles in forward!!!!
ive made a short video here.
can anyone shed any light on this weird problem
Thank you in advance
Gordon

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The notch on the bushing needs to be rotated 180 degrees so the notch on the bushing sits in the notch in the case on the rear side of the bushing. The bushing notch looks like it has been damaged from being previously installed incorrectly and then clamped down.

g-mack

Forum Newbie
Threads
The notch on the bushing needs to be rotated 180 degrees so the notch on the bushing sits in the notch in the case on the rear side of the bushing. The bushing notch looks like it has been damaged from being previously installed incorrectly and then clamped down.
I'm going to try replacing the two bearings and see if it helps.
How do these bearing affect the axle? I can't see anything that would stop it turning,

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If not turned correctly so the notch on the bearing fits in the notch in the case it puts pressure on the bearing seizing the shaft. The bearing in the video looks like the notch has been smashed in the case.Used to a big thing with the peerless transaxles.

g-mack

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok, parts ordered, I will update this when once i have fitted them

g-mack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so i've got the new bearings, and it is clear to see old bearings do have crushed tabs.
do these look correctly seated? I really want to get it right before i clamp it all down!

left side (as you look at it)
IMG_1590.jpg
IMG_1591.jpg
you can see the tag in the indent and the flat edge is vertical is this correct?

the other side bearing has 2 tags and a flat edge
i can see the tags go in the indents but where should the flat edge be? image 1 or 2

image1.jpg
image2.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don’t have to worry about the flats. Just make sure that the triangle tag in in the indent and cannot be compressed.

g-mack

Forum Newbie
Threads
cool, thanks, will give a go then. I still can't get my head around how these tabs work! i can see my old ones were squashed, i was putting them in the indents so they weren't interfering with the casing. anyhoo lets see what happens with new bits!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tabs are to prevent the bushing/bearings from rotating.

g-mack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so brass bearing didn't fix it! but.....
I think i might know what's going on! the forward motion bevel gear has quite a bit of play in it. I suspect the pinion bevel gear (no 13 in diagram) is pushing the forward gear out of line when the pinion bevel gear is tightened into them. Does this sound feasible?
Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 12.59.29.png