MTD 20" 125cc

50Cal

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I bought this mower new about 2 years ago. Right out of the box the mower contentiously sounds like it revs up and down, hunts and surges I guess. I should have taken it back to home depot to have them fix it but I never did. It cuts fine, doesnt die, its just really annoying that its not running properly. I have cleaned the air filter but that did nothing. Could it be a carb screw, spring, etc? Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like a lean running condition. Please post the model and serial numbers from both the mower and engine so we can see what you have. That way we can advise you how to proceed.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it is one of the "New" and " Improved" E series engines with the all plastic carb good luck. Every one of those engines that has come through my shop has had carb problems. Mainly surging and hard starting. Does it also say to never change the oil just check and add oil? Brilliant!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those new carbs can kick your butt, But I’ve got a procedure where I can get them to work properly about 80% of the time. Has to do with micro number drills, heavy grease and an ultrasonic cleaner.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are a better man than me sir. I have drilled one and fixed the surging. So what is this secret grease thing?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I put heavy grease on that rubber intake gasket and intake tube, coat everything good, before pushing the carb back on the engine. I think it may seal the backside of the carb better and slides easier. Don’t know if it does any good, but most of the time it works for me.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. Will try anything. The bigger hammer thing didn't work out so well.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just something I had to try when I was on vacation last summer at a friends resort. That all I had to seal between the carb and engine. I’ve even had it work on a warped Briggs air filter housing, You need to try anything when your no in the shop.

logert gogert

Threads
Does it also say to never change the oil just check and add oil? Brilliant!
heh heh hehe.......

yup, just let that oil burn then DONT add any and just add CLEAN oil to the DIRTY oil............wtf...........brilliant........?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it also say to never change the oil just check and add oil? Brilliant!

And soon to be coming to an automobile in your area. It is also being tested in automobiles Only need to replace 20% of the oil to replenish the oil additives. And in the case of cars the filter will remove the larger particles from the dirty oil.