Mower won't start

Alaric11

Threads
Mower is a craftsman 11 hp model number 917.254274 and engine is model number 252707, need help figuring out what the carburetor needs to be set to

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are going to have to give us more info before we can tell you how to proceed. First, give us the full engine numbers, model, type and code. That way we will see your exact engine. Second, you say engine won’t start. Does that mean, won’t turn over or turns over, spins, but doesn’t start? Third, have you checked for spark? Fourth, are you sure the cylinder is getting fuel? Fifth, is the carb getting fuel? Sixth, how fresh is the fuel? Seventh, did this problem occur suddenly, or has gotten worse over time? Eighth, what have you done so far to solve the problem on your own? I know that I’m asking a lot, but you must remember that we are not standing next to you with a drink in hand, looking at the unit. You must paint us a better picture of what is happening, or we will just be throwing guesses in your direction, trying to see what will stick. DIY guys do that, the techs want good information before throwing money at the problem.

Alaric11

Threads
The engine will turn over and was running, but I took the carburetor apart to clean it and it doesn't want to run now. The spark is good, the fuel is new, and the carburetor is drawing fuel. It started doing this after I put the carburetor back on. I put the idle speed screw and the high side screw all the way in and backed them out 1.5 turns, and backed the fuel mix screw all the way in and backed it out 1 turn, hopefully the picture helps

Attachments

• 20201219_113218.jpg
    20201219_113218.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 15

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wish you would have taken a little time to answer all my questions, but from what you said I suspect that the carb will need to be taken off and rebuilt properly, with a repair kit. Might be wrong, but that’s the best I can do with the limited info you provide. Maybe this manual will help you out. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine will turn over and was running, but I took the carburetor apart to clean it and it doesn't want to run now. The spark is good, the fuel is new, and the carburetor is drawing fuel. It started doing this after I put the carburetor back on. I put the idle speed screw and the high side screw all the way in and backed them out 1.5 turns, and backed the fuel mix screw all the way in and backed it out 1 turn, hopefully the picture helps
Clean the carb or replace it with an OEM one. Use fuel stabilizer year round. Clean all the dirt, grass and oil off the cylinder block cooling fins. Keep the air filter spotless. Install a pre-air filter if possible. Fuel line shut off is a great tip for any mower. Filter good too.

slomo